Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Adding capacity  (Read 793 times)

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
Adding capacity
« on: October 28, 2022, 07:38:47 AM »

I'm using a homemade boiler and this is year #5 with it.  All steel, and I'm heating my 1000 sq ft garage with 10' ceilings, and a 1680 sq ft house.  Both structures are well insulated.  I built both around 2003-4.  The boiler is 180 gallons, and uses 3+ cord to heat the garage from mid October to May 1.  I'm very pleased with it, and it produces almost no smoke at all.  In the last 2 years, I've added the house to the boiler.  How much can adding 50-100 gallons of capacity help?  I'm thinking adding a tank in my crawlspace, and insulating it very well.  My last stove was 340 gallons, and it seemed to work so much better with less wood. I know there can be other issues, but capacity was the first thing that comes to mind.  As of today, I have the temperature set point at 145 with a 15 degree differential.  I increase the temperature as the ambient temperature drops over the winter.

Thoughts???
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

OTR

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7200
    • View Profile
Re: Adding capacity
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »

I've thought about doing something similar myself, but never gotten around to it.

I've read reports of being able to store massive amounts of heat this way, with people burning their boiler once every few days to heat their tanks, then using the heat from the tanks after that. I'm a little skeptical of their performance reports, and I'd think not running the boiler for a couple of days could be a problem unless you've got the boiler water loaded up with antifreeze... but I've never tried it, so I don't know anything for certain.
Stihl 660cm
Huskee 22tn Splitter
Moving to coal next season (same OWB)