Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: A "How To" for Posting Pictures from a Picture-Hosting Site  (Read 10237 times)

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
A "How To" for Posting Pictures from a Picture-Hosting Site
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »

A "How To" for Posting Pictures in a OWFI.com Post (Using an External, Picture-Hosting Website)

A fair number of OWFI.com users have contacted me regarding the uploading of pictures (some of you have noticed that the upload quoto here is full). Until one of the administrators or moderators (self included) figure this out, I thought I would present a "How To" for those that may discover how much easier it is to just have your pictures remotely "hosted" by a free picture-hosting website (e.g. Photobucket, ImageShack, etc.; if you want a good list of photo-sharing websites, take a look at what  Wikipedia (Click Here) lists as available.

Pictures,,, I do not upload the pictures directly here at OWFI.com.  I use a remote picture-hosting/ photo-sharing website.  MMany use Photobucket (Click Here) or ImageShack (Click Here).

I personally do not use those sites (they are very busy servers with millions of members) and choose the unlimited picture uploading at a site called Jesse's Outdoors Hunting and Fishing (Click here).  Since I am a hunter and fisherman, the site is more appropriate for me (but anyone can join, hunter/fisherman or no and remotely host pictures).

I will try my best to explain how these sites work most simply by stating that what you (the user) actually does.

A user's (i.e. the person desiring to post a picture in an OWFI.com post) "process" is as follows:

1. Take pictures with a digital camera that uses an SD Media card

2. Insert the camera's the SD Media card in your laptop computer and upload the pictures to that computer.  Most computers have an SD Media card slot built in to them these days but if not, you would need to purchase an SD Media card reader that plugs into a USB port on your computer. ;)

3. Once the picture files are uploaded from the SD Media card to your computer, you navigate (in Internet Explorer, Firefox, or whatever internet browser you are using) to one of the many picture hosting websites (most of them you need to set up an account on; it's free).  At hese websites, you can upload the pictures from your your computer (containing the pictures you uploaded from the camera's SD Media card) to the picture-hosting website.

4. After the picture is uploaded to the website, the site will display the "URL address" of the picture below it in a few different code formats.  Try to find the code next to "Direct Link:"

5. Once the URL address for your picture is identified, you simply copy that URL address code (an "URL address" looks something like this (it is basically a link):

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/CDK_1st_Floor_Heating_Layout_2.jpg

6.  After you have uploaded your picture(s) to the picture-hosting website, open another internet browser window for our Outdoor Woodburning Furnace Info website and Login (like you normally do to come and read posts).

7.  When you are ready to go make a post, proceed as normal by pressing "Reply" or Quote" in order to open a window for you to type in your reply/information.  Within your posting window (where you originally type your reply text), decide where you desire your picture to "appear" in your post.  Once you are ready to have your picture appear in your post, you simply add the code

[img] before the picture's URL address

and

[/img] immediately after the picture's URL Address (do not add extra blank spaces or any other characters; the text should "run all together"; this is normal).

Using the example URL address I have stated above in number 5. and adding the [img][/img] tags (as they are called) before and after the picture's URL address, you will have some text that looks something like this:

[img]http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/CDK_1st_Floor_Heating_Layout_2.jpg[/img]

When you are writing or editing a post, the code (above) will be present.  The picture will NOT formally appear in your post until AFTER you have formally submitting the post for public view.  In more simplistic terms, that "URL address" text with the [img][/img] tags is what actually formally makes the picture "appear" as the picture in your post (and not the written text in your posting).  8)

In fact, just make a post in the Testing forum (Click Here) using the code I presented above in step 7. and submit it.  You will see my picture "appear" when you view the post in the thread you created.  Then try to do it with your own pictures once you have a picture-hosting account setup somewhere and some pictures uploaded to it.  ;)

Just so you know,,, you can't mess anything up trying to post a picture this way so don't be intimidated by the code or the process,,, once you have a few pictures successfully posted and you'll be a "Picture-Posting Pro."  Try it out!

Let me know if you have any difficulty and I will try to help/explain further.  :thumbup: -Scott
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:26:07 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: A "How To" for Posting Pictures from a Picture-Hosting Site
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »

If your a Facebook user you can also upload files to Facebook and set the album to Private, then only the people who have the link can view the pictures.

For those that take a lot of pictures with a digital camera, get yourself a Eyefi card. Basically a memory card with Wifi built right in, get it close enough after taking pictures to your home (or another wifi service you select) and it will automatically download the pictures to your PC or Mac, on our last trip to England I had mine and the wife's camera set to download to our iPad so could get a better look at the pics and decide if we should take another.

This morning I snapped some photo's of a bald eagle that decided to visit the farm, I no more than walked in the door and sat the camera down and the pictures were already on my Mac.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: A "How To" for Posting Pictures from a Picture-Hosting Site
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »

I think Mr snood meant on number 2 to get an adapter that plugs into your USB port to read your SD card.

P.S. I also stickied this for future members.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:53:32 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana