Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trouble getting to temp !  (Read 3561 times)

newmod

• OWF Brand: HOMEMADE
    • View Profile
Trouble getting to temp !
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

Hello,
     Well, I finally fired up the OWB (homemade ).   Everything is working great but I cant seem to get it up to temp of 185 to close draft door.  I am thinking that the draft door is not quite big enough.  I set it up with a 4 inch round tube for draft in the door.  I think I may have to put a draft inducer fan, or cut the hole bigger and re-work that.  Easiest would probably be the draft fan.  My chimney is a 6 in double insulated stainless.  Any ideas out there.  My previous CB was a natural draft, but im thinking inducer is the way to go now.  ..
My aquastat ranges are 165-185
Newmod

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Trouble getting to temp !
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »

First off the stove looks great :thumbup:
Now on your problem.I wonder if your getting some sort of bridging in front of your door and not allowing for a natural draft to occur?I would definately agree it is some sort of draft problem.I have never had a natural draft stove,but I would rather have an induction blower to move air.I dont remember how your exhaust stack is inside the firebox.Is it real close in elevation to the draft pipe entrance?Perhaps it is choking itself out with smoke.
I personaly use a blower on it.Maybe you can stand back and look at it and see a different way to attack the problem
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

newmod

• OWF Brand: HOMEMADE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Jackel,

The chimney goes out the back , up near the top of the fire box.  BUT i have a baffle half way down in front of the exhaust to trap the heat in the box.  Maybe cause i am using some green wood also?  Heck I dont know.  Never had this problem with my CB.  What kind of draft motor are people using?  We may have to "RIG" something up.  OH , another problem I had was when I first fired it up, open the door a few times , the darn rope seal in the door fell out !..   WHAT THE ????.....   Wel there recommended glue didn't work at all for that.  Ran to the hardware store and got some high temp furnace silicone.  Seems to be ok now. 

Newmod

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »

Green wood could be part of the issue or the baffle might be blocking it to much.  I know you get a hotter,cleaner, more efficient burn with a fan..  Might consider adding one, you'll be glad you did.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »

if you plan on burning green or not so seasoned wood i would also recommend the forced draft.or youll need to extend chimney to get a stronger draft.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

yeah i agree with the green wood you will probably need a fan to help with the green wood.
Yes it helps to use a bead of high temp silicone in the door chanel to hold the rope seal in.This all depends on how you made the channel on the doo.r frame. One side of rhe channel actually should lean in to help hold the rope seal in.  Kind of like so.    / |
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV