Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to owb new house how to tell if I need a new cartridge pump  (Read 1889 times)

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Custom
    • View Profile
New to owb new house how to tell if I need a new cartridge pump
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »

My wife and I just got a new home well new to us in northern Maine built in 1890 came with a old custom outdoor wood boiler for a heat source didn't work when we moved in so I installed a woodstove has leaks in the pipes from the boiler and house I'm fixing that with some pec after advise from nice people on the forum I've fired it up and it runs nice but hasn't been run in a year or two the problem I'm haveing now is with the thermostat box and pump I noticed it was unwired and the expansion tank was off the pump is a taco 007 model I wired the thermistat box to a extension cord turned up the thermostat and plugged it in the pump doesn't make any noise or vibration does this mean I have an. Issue ? If so can I hook the plug too the pump direct to see if the pump is bad or the box? Thanks again

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: New to owb new house how to tell if I need a new cartridge pump
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »

You should be able to plug it in and at least feel it vibrating, if I knew more about the system I could tell you what kind of pump you need. You can call tomorrow to explain more about your situation if you'd like
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »

You should be able to direct wire a 007, its a 2 wire pump runs on 110V, either wire can be the hot.  If its running it will make very little noise and have a slight virbration if you put your hand on it.
North Central Ohio

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »

If it isn't too hard to pull it, I would and make sure the impeller isn't frozen up. If it has been sitting for a long time it might be. If it turns free, I would connect power to it for a second or two to make sure you see it spin. Don't run it long though because it is water lubricated and will get damaged.

If there is a valve near the pump you can usually close and open it while listening to the pump and even a super quiet pump will make some noise.

That pump is pretty cheap and would be good to have a spare on hand. I would suggest buying a new one and pulling the old one and checking it. If good put it back.

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Custom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »

Hooked it up directly didn't work right away your right I think it was frozen up because ten minutes later it started humming away I'm hopeing in the morning the thermostat will make it work when I wire it back up I have a digital thermostat I want to wire up to it. Now would it hurt to wire this up with a plug to hook it up to my generator instead of wireing it directly? If the thermostat box is bad can i just put a switch on it? Thanks for all the help guys