Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Old Aqua Therm 140  (Read 24467 times)

jtepn87

• OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
Old Aqua Therm 140
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »

Someone I know has an old Aqua-Therm 140 stove that he wants to get rid of.  The stove is super rusty and will most likely end up at a salvage yard, but he's willing to give it away, and I'm willing to make the 10 min drive to pick it up. Now saying that, can someone give me some info on these stoves and or how to get some of the rust out of the water jacket? I know some about owb's but really nothing about Aqua-Therms.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
Re: Old Aqua Therm 140
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »

walk away and save yourself the aggravation.

First of all, its rusty, almost impossible to clean the inside of water jacket with cutting it apart.  That just leads to problems down the road with heat exchangers and pumps.

Second my friend Jeff bought an Aquatherm new, so no rust issues at all.  He built a brand new house very well insulated and built it with the knowledge he was going to put a boiler in.  So, pex under the floors with tile, ect.
Now, look at design of Aquatherm boilers.  Huge firebox with very little water around it and the chimney is right in the middle of the top of the firebox.  Any heat escapes right out the top before it has much opportunity to soak into the metal.  We've actually seen flame coming out of the chimney that was 16 feet tall!

It wore him out trying to keep that thing fed and he finally just gave up on the boiler.  Plus, he is so disgusted that he won't even replace it with another because he felt so burned by the first one.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »

I'm not going to invest too much more than a lil bit of time on it. It's just sitting in the guys shed and he said I could take it for scrap metal if nothing else. So I'm really not losing anything on it. I also know that they don't hold much water but I work at a hardware store,  so used water heaters are abundant. With all that considered I figured its worth a look. At the very worst it ends up at the scrap yard and pays for the fuel to get it.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »

What Mr. racnruss is saying, is that if you hook this thing up, it COULD cost you money by clogging up your heat exchanger ($300), busting a pump impellar ($300) and jamming up a plate exchanger ($250.)  Rust and particles going through your pex will put you money behind. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »

Oh yeah. Like I said. Im most likely just to haul this thing to the scrap yard, I was just curious to know something about it first.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »

Heres the deal on Aqua-Therm..As a owner of one here.. Aqua-Therm is a closed loop OWB..Its has the same psi as any oil boiler does..Because its a closed loop system there is no need for heat exchangers unless you have hot air for a system..Reason why they don't hold a lot water is because its a fast recovery time and less burn time than a boiler thats holds 200+ gallons of water.. Also the fire chamber is 409 stainless steel..

Racnruss Sorry to hear about your buddy's experience ..Sounds like the OWB world isn't for him.. I don't get your point of the design of the boiler..And as far as a flame coming out of the stack..You want that to happen!! Cleans your stack out! There are pics that members posted flames  coming out of there stack.

jtepn87 any chance of postings pics?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »

somebody help me here.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »

I already tried Mr. racnruss!  :bash:
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

What Mr. racnruss is saying, is that if you hook this thing up, it COULD cost you money by clogging up your heat exchanger ($300), busting a pump impellar ($300) and jamming up a plate exchanger ($250.)  Rust and particles going through your pex will put you money behind.

in line filter?  my diesel tractor, car, truck, hydraulic lines, hot air duct in the furnace all have a filter...and my home made OWB does too..doesnt yours..if not ,perhaps you are gambling too?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »

Next time I go over there to take a look on how to get it out of his shed, I'll snap a couple pics. I truely have no idea about rust in the water jacket, but as long as it's just been sitting, I can only imagine.  Then I really don't have the money to pour into something that morethan likely won't work. MattyNH; are Aqua-Therms morr set up for radient heat then? I'm a rookie to all things OWB.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

jtepn87,  The Aqua-therm's can be hooked up to anything..So if you were to hook it up to radiant heat..You would have a direct hook up or a direct hook up through the oil boiler ..There's no need to heat exchanger's since Aqua-therm's are a closed loop system( just like the oil boiler a closed loop system) Like I said in the other post your would need a heat exchanger for forced hot air heat.

Most Owb's are a open system..So they are vented to the atmosphere Thats why you would need heat exchangers..Yes you can do a direct hook up with a "open system" But now your exposing everything to the atmosphere..Really not recommended 
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

I have a propane forced air furnace now, and would like to hook my DHW up with whatever OWB I end up with; so heat exchangers will be needed. Would I need extra holding tanks with the Aqua-Therm or just the expansion tank for pressure? WillieG, what kind of filter do you have hooked up to your owb? I can't seem to find anything for hot water.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »

i have a shelco filter that uses a string wound filter with a steel core and is good up to 180 degrees and at 20 microns adds about 2psi at 10 gpm (or about 5 feet of head)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

I have a propane forced air furnace now, and would like to hook my DHW up with whatever OWB I end up with; so heat exchangers will be needed. Would I need extra holding tanks with the Aqua-Therm or just the expansion tank for pressure? WillieG, what kind of filter do you have hooked up to your owb? I can't seem to find anything for hot water.
No extra holding tanks are needed..All what you need is what is stock on the boiler itself..Expansion tank and everything is on the boiler..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »

This one currently has a 2gal expansion tank plumbed to it. I'll have to take pics when I get the chance. It's 20+ years old and the belly of it is almost on the ground below it. Were Aqua-Therms made with stainless back then? This thing has a ton of rust on the outside, and in the firebox. I do like the plate right below the flu to keep heat from just running out. I also like the tubes in the firebox that appear to distribute air evenly for a complete burn. It's just the amount of rust that scares me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5