Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Distance from house  (Read 2566 times)

almostplumb

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: none
    • View Profile
Distance from house
« on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »

Imposing on you all again for some pre purchase input.  This time on distance from house to OWB.  We've only been considering the P&M 250 vs
CB 1450/2400.  Our concern is placement.  The P & M dealer said 25 ft away is minimal and he prefers 35 ft.  The CB dealer called the
manufacturer and checked the regs and said only 4 ft is needed.  Given our terrain, this makes a difference.  We can adjust for the old
chimney rule of 3 ft higher than any roof within 10 ft though the CB dealer says given the FD fan, this is not an issue.  Prevailing wind, BTW,
is away from the house in all locations.  Can't believe it's manufacturer dependent, but we could be wrong.  (We also realize insurance may
play a part).

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Distance from house
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »

You better check with your insurance company on that one, along with local ordinances.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

almostplumb

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »

The CB dealer claims there's no state (PA) issue.  The locals depend on the state.  I would change insurance if that is the only drawback.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

3 feet from combustibles minimum for the 250, local codes apply so check with your code enforcement officer
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

almostplumb

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »

Thanks slimjim.  Can  almost reach out the window and load it.  We're in Appalachia so we don't worry about locals.

almostplumb

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »

Small update for PA residents.  I researched online what the PA regs are.  It appears the only
requirements are EPA Phase II, a 10 ft high smokestack and a 50 ft property line setback.
The indication is that it is limited beyond that and is recommending the local authorities
add to it.  A few appear to have increased those limits and some have placed time frames
such as Sept to March only.  My township shows nothing online but I emailed them to see
if they have any additional ordinances.  Thought this might be of interest.  Sorry if you all
already knew this.  Doesn't seem too restrictive to me.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »

I have mine 14' from my house makes it nice when there is bad weather or deep snow! My town said it has tobe12' so I made it 14' to make them happy!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl