Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mahoning 300 - Pumps at top or bottom?  (Read 1724 times)

Eradz

• OWF Brand: Mahoning
  • OWF Model: 300
    • View Profile
Mahoning 300 - Pumps at top or bottom?
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »

Hello everyone! I just got a used Mahoning 300 and I am going to attempt this OWB setup for the first time. I currently run 2 coal furnaces with forced air to heat my house, one in the main house and one for the addition. I know this Mahoning 300 will be able to do both sides just fine. A few questions after all the reading I have done on the net and in this forum.

Pump location:  Pumps are at the top of the unit. This would mean less pressure on the furnace side of the pump and more pressure on the return, should I switch this up so I can have more pressure on the furnace pump side?

I have calculated the Head Loss on one of mines runs to be ~9 feet minus the heat exchange which I was not sure how to calculate. My setup is Hot water out of the furnace into 40 feet of 1inch pex, ball valve, 20 foot pex into heat exchange, 20 foot pex , ball valve, 40 foot back to furnace. Taco 007 handle that? I have a similar run with about 20 more feet of pex with a taco 009.

Fill line to furnace: Does it freeze up at the furnace? I would like to have a float type of system to auto as needed, any suggestions on doing this? I was thinking something like a toilet bowl float / mechanism :)

Additives / PH levels: Whats the best additive / corrosion inhib to use inside the furnace? What should I maintain the PH level at?

I'm no plumber but I do work on computers(sry no macs), so if anyone here needs help with anything computer related, hit me up! =)

Thanks,

Eradz