Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Getting ready for second burn season  (Read 1374 times)

bjp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 750 Titanium HD
    • View Profile
Getting ready for second burn season
« on: November 19, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

I haven't fired up the Classic Edge 750 HD yet, heating oil is just ridiculously cheap up here right now (still under $2/gal), but unlike last year I was able to secure enough seasoned wood, along with what I had left last year, that I should have a much better burn season without the need to mix in so much green.

About a month before the end of heating last year I started to get some smoke leaking out of the door, the big rectangular door gasket had started to go. Wow is that thing a beast to replace. Pry it out with a scraper, but so much sticks from the sealant they used at the factory it was about 3 hours just to scrape as much out of it out as I could to get the best possible seal on the replacement gasket.  Installing the new one took a whole 10 minutes or so once the channel was cleared.

I'll probably do a first burn in a couple weeks just to test out the gasket repair to see if I'll need to adjust the door, so that I'm not doing that for the first time in subzero temps when I switch over from the heating oil.

14 cords stacked up, seasoned, and ready to burn, as soon as I pull the trigger.  I also stocked up on spare circulators because I noticed some impeller noise when I turned the main circ on to avoid overnight freezing.  Here's to a good season for us all!
7.5kW solar panels, grid tied
Weil-McLain WGO-4 oil boiler
DR Trimmer brush hog / mower deck / chipper / snowthrower

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Getting ready for second burn season
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »

If the pump is making noise, it might have some air trapped in it. If you close and quickly open a valve on the return side a few times it usually will purge out small amounts of trapped air.