Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 121996 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Gasification wood boiler build
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »

Alright everyone my gasifcation boiler build is now starting.Today we sheared and bent a ton of metal,and then hauled it all home.Unloaded it all by hand as my skid loader is over at a woods I am helping my nieghbor log out.
Here is a quick run down of what I have planned.28" wide by 48" deep by33 5/8" tall fire box in a 36" wide 60" deep and 60 " tall water tank.
Approximate 400 gallons of water. >:D
I still have refractory brick to purchase yet.Plus my electronics and fan and damper actuater.
I hope to have this project done by the end of Oct depending on funding for the rest of it.
Pictures will follow as I progress. :)
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »

:pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »

:pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »

400 gal wow... i dont think you can have to much water! Cant wait to see more pics, good luck with the build

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »

Good luck!...Looking forward to the pics!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »

I have been researching this for a long time ,and I believe the key to this whole deal is mass storage.I plan in the future to have atleast a 1 to 2 thousand gallons of super insulated water tanks.That way you can run the furnace full bore and make the heat and then shut it down and live off the stored hot water.
I have kind of put a kink in that plan with such capacity I will have.But I don't know how long it will be before I will get my storage made and installed.
I am still excited though :D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »

What your doing is possible....  mass storage units are something used by gasification units that typically sit in a garage or basement.  they are really efficient but often require you to build a fire daily and store the hot water in a pressurized tank. 

If you get your 400 gallon tank working I cant imagine wanting 2000 gallons.  The 400 should be really impressive I would think.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »

I think 400 gal. will work out great for you. My legend boiler holds 500 gal. and that seems to be great , you can run out of wood and the water will keep heating for along time!!! I think gallonage is the key.
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »

i have been reading..if you heat a 2400 gal tank of water to 180 degrees and you could make it so you have no heat losses (impossable) you could heat an average 2000 square foot home for 3 days in average winter temps (i am thinking here maybe in the low 30's?)

lets play with the numbers..1 btu raises 1 pound of water 1 degree (thats a btu)  2400 gal is pretty close to 24000 pounds  so if my math is right we need to multiply 24000 pounds by about 130 (our water should allready be about 50 degrees) to get enough btu's to reach 180
that gets us to needing 3,120,000 btu to heat our water , and lets say our stove is 75 percent efficient. we now need 3.9 million btu for 3 days of mid winter heating. a cord of good dry hardwood has about 20 million useable btu in it. that gives us about 1/5th of a cord for our needed btu. So using that we need about 1 cord of wood for 15 days of midwinter heat or 1/5th of a cord for 3 days heat

any of this make sense??
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »

if willie's numbers are correct your wasting your time.. 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »

you can work the numbers alittle different for where  you live

in ontairo canada the normal estimate is 100 million btu a season (this can change to a rapidly lower number with a new house now)
5 cord of good dry hardwood can produce this  but you must add some (depending on the efficiency of your stove)
this is a fairly accurate average) as my home is a century old farm house but i have added insulation and windows  and my home built stove is likely not much more than 50 or55 percent efficient and i do burn about 8 to 10 cords (depending on the winter) and when my leaky old underground pipes were good.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:03 AM »

personally i say ...build it

if it dont work, lower the storage..if it does work...GREAT, and if you don't build it, you will always wonder. If you do build it you will know.

And as a tinkerer myself..when you build something for yourself...it is not a waste of time but "research and development" LOL
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »

Willie
  I Completely agree with you about the research and development theory.I have a plan and I see it working.if it doesn't pan out I can reuse it or scrap it.
I also think I might be able to go longer than the projected 3 days with mass storage,as I live in central Indiana so I don't have the harsh winter like you northern guys do.
I think the size of the boiler now will still work wonderfully. I have alot of fanning yet to do but atleast I have a start on it.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »

one way to look at it is this....forget the normal house btu required that i used..do it like this

you need X amount of btu's to heat your home this winter. if you have one big fire every three or four or five days (what ever it works out to be with your mass storage tank. or if youwere to use a normal sized tank like the other stoves come with, what you have to experiment with is this...by having one large storage tank and one big fire, how many btu's are lost over the time period of which the hot water lasts and then compare to how many btu's are lost on a bunch of start and stop fires. then you will know what way works best.  i am thinking if you were to put the mass storage tank in the home basement what leaked of the tank itself would be leaking to the home and not really wasted?

if you were to heat say two weeks with the small storage tank and then heat two weeks with the mass storage tank (and if the weather was about the same) then you could compare your wood useage and see what way was the clear winner. (i am leaning towards teh mass storage  but that is just my feeling, i have no proof. it would be nice to see an actual comparison on this site

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »

one way to look at it is this....forget the normal house btu required that i used..do it like this

you need X amount of btu's to heat your home this winter. if you have one big fire every three or four or five days (what ever it works out to be with your mass storage tank. or if youwere to use a normal sized tank like the other stoves come with, what you have to experiment with is this...by having one large storage tank and one big fire, how many btu's are lost over the time period of which the hot water lasts and then compare to how many btu's are lost on a bunch of start and stop fires. then you will know what way works best.  i am thinking if you were to put the mass storage tank in the home basement what leaked of the tank itself would be leaking to the home and not really wasted?

if you were to heat say two weeks with the small storage tank and then heat two weeks with the mass storage tank (and if the weather was about the same) then you could compare your wood useage and see what way was the clear winner. (i am leaning towards teh mass storage  but that is just my feeling, i have no proof. it would be nice to see an actual comparison on this site

That is how I was thinking of doing my own tests.I am not worried so much about the quantity of wood consumption,but more on how long the duration between burns would be.
I do think mass storage is the way to go.I have seen lots of good things about it on the Hearth.com forum.
I am a couple years from the mass storage stage of the build.So that part will have to wait for now.
Just going to concentrate getting it built and working for this year.
I hauled a load of logs home today ,and then another load tomorrow after work.So maybe I can start to melt metal with electricity saturday night or sunday. ;D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21