Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did your own install? How long did it take?  (Read 5069 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Did your own install? How long did it take?
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »

My stove is coming tomorrow and I was wondering how long it would take on average to install one by myself.  The trench and pex line are done already.  I'm looking at the outdoor hook up, water heater hook up, running the indoor lines, and putting the heat exchanger in along with a separate heater in the garage.  How long did it take you guys?

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Re: Did your own install? How long did it take?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »

I spent more time thinking about it and driving to homedepot to get stuff then the install it is all basic just take your time
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

If you have everything you need you can do it in a day without beer ..........  2 days with LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »

If you have everything you need you can do it in a day without beer ..........  2 days with LOL
You can work at home without beer? How is that possible? ;)
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:50:54 AM »

If I try to complete a project at home without beer I become suicidal!  :bash:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »

But back to the question...

If you already have the trench dug out and pex in the ground then you already have a good head start.  I worked on my install off and on for a few days but if I were to work on it for an entire day I think I would have been able to complete it.  I would give yourself one day for the house and one day for the garage.  The heat exchanger only took about an hour to install and then it was just wiring, etc.... good luck!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

I never mix business with pleasure...and I'm not saying which of the two I would consider business! 

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »

Well Well Well,  Their are beer drinkers on this site????? :thumbup:  My kinda people.  I'm going to be honest and tell you that I'm not very mechanically inclined.  So, I was going to have a buddy that installs industrial boilers do the outside hook up, then have a different guy do the ductwork for the heat exchanger, then try to find somebody else to do the plumbing work on the water heater.  However, my boiler buddy is VERY hesitant to "work to fast".  He thinks this thing is going to take weeks or months to hook up and is very cautious; which I can appreciate.  But, after researching these things for over a year, most say its no big deal.  By all means; I don't want to RUSH into the install but it would be nice to get er done for peace of mind. 

So, let me come full circle back to the beer.  I can provide your favorite beer if you would like to come help me with the install since you have already done it on yours.  I'm in souther indiana.  Any takers???

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »

PM me your address and I will see what I can do
Southern Indiana

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »

Well Well Well,  Their are beer drinkers on this site????? :thumbup:  My kinda people.  I'm going to be honest and tell you that I'm not very mechanically inclined.  So, I was going to have a buddy that installs industrial boilers do the outside hook up, then have a different guy do the ductwork for the heat exchanger, then try to find somebody else to do the plumbing work on the water heater.  However, my boiler buddy is VERY hesitant to "work to fast".  He thinks this thing is going to take weeks or months to hook up and is very cautious; which I can appreciate.  But, after researching these things for over a year, most say its no big deal.  By all means; I don't want to RUSH into the install but it would be nice to get er done for peace of mind. 

So, let me come full circle back to the beer.  I can provide your favorite beer if you would like to come help me with the install since you have already done it on yours.  I'm in souther indiana.  Any takers???

Heavens no.  The install should take no more then a couple days.  I too had the duct work done by a professional, but the plumbing is a cake walk; especially with pex.  You don't even have to be very percise.  I plumbed mine in a couple hours, inside and outside.  I have modified it and tweaked it and made it look nicer over a couple weeks, but honestly it is very easy work.

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »

What kind of OWB did you end up with??                  Anywhere near Whiting IN  How far from there are you ?
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »

Bud Light please!...My friends and I did most of the installing..Poured the pad, Dug the trench with my buddy's backhoe attachment, Installed and layed all of the piping including the conduct for the wire...Pulled the wire....Paid a plumber to hooked it up to the  oil boiler and hook piping to OWB.. and bought my buddy some beer for the electrical work (he's a licensed electrician) Just paid for the what ever parts need at cost..So over all installment..Few days..Its more of a waiting game really..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

Post a picture of what you have at the owb first and we will talk you through that hook up first. Then we will work on the inside. Jack, Whiting is at the other end of the state.
Southern Indiana

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

Post a picture of what you have at the owb first and we will talk you through that hook up first. Then we will work on the inside. Jack, Whiting is at the other end of the state.

Yea Bull  I guess I missed the southern Indiana part            My Bad  whoops
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

oldchenowth

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:17 AM »

If you have all of your pieces aprts, an 8 hour day should have you at temp.  I spent a total of about 5 days getting pex and fittings, having a plenum built, waiting for the guy with a trenching bucket, waiting for my pad to dry, etc.  all totaling about 8 hours worth the work.  My first install also.  If I had all my "expert" family and friends helping, I still would not be done. And that was 2 1/2 years ago. 

Beer was involved in the celebration though.  Especially when the wife turned up the heat to 90, "just because she could"

Do put extra thought into getting at the HX to clean it or figure a really good filter system.  I had no choice but to put my HX on the cold air side of the fan and have since triple filtered the air to keep the fins clean.  Especially if you have indoor pets or live on a gravel road, or live in an old farm house.  Guess which ones apply to me. (ALL)
Pages: [1] 2