Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 10 cords  (Read 6424 times)

trz

• View Profile
10 cords
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »

i'm buying a load of wood that i'm guessing are 10 ft. logs anywhere from 4 to 20 inches across, there calling it a 10 cord load. does anyone have an educated guess on how much that would actually be once i cut and stacked it?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: 10 cords
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »

Are you buying a grapple load of wood ?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »

I got a load that they claimed was 10 cord. I cut it all into 32" lengths and only split the really large stuff. It measured out to be just under 9 cord. Apparently when it is split it gets about 15% larger which would have been close to 10.

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »

I got a load that they claimed was 10 cord. I cut it all into 32" lengths and only split the really large stuff. It measured out to be just under 9 cord. Apparently when it is split it gets about 15% larger which would have been close to 10.

I'm thinking if you split it it would end up measuring less not more cuz it would stack tighter and therefore the stack would be smaller.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »

I grew up being told that a cord was a stack 4'x4'x8', or 128cu.ft.  Since I got my OWB, and all the research and reading I have done, I found that an actual "cord" of wood is  80 cu.ft. of solid wood, NO AIR spaces.  That would be like if you were able to somehow melt it down into a solid mass, I guess.  Anyway, I figure my cords at 100 cu.ft cut, split and stacked.  I feel I am pretty particular about how I stack and I try to get it pretty tight.  I burn approx 35 to 40 cord a year (based on this calculation).  It's 5 pulp truck loads which they like to call 8 cord anyway, so I figure it's got to be close.  100 cu.ft. method, if nothing else, makes for easy calculation and quick reference.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »

I split and stack my wood on pallets at about 6'...so I figure I get about a chord and a half every 2 pallets.  And yeah, I try to stack it tight, but I like to keep my pieces fairly large...which makes stacking harder.  Kind of like playing tetris in real life.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:54:15 PM by tbone »
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »

Well back in the old days (way back) ..A cord of wood was sold un-split  at least what the old timers say..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

jcc273

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »

It should definitely measure larger split.  cord is volume measurement of length x width x height of stacked wood.  so unless you can somehow split your wood into perfect geometric shapes that fit together without any gaps then you are almost always gonna be larger just because of the sheer fact that you have more pieces (= more gaps).

A Cord as a unit of measuring firewood varies sometimes depending on who it comes from (and where it comes from).  An actual cord as far as firewood goes usually refers to 128 cubic feet of COMPACT TIGHTLY PACKED WOOD, so basically it always comes down to somewhat of a judgement call (and stacking ability) as there is no way to exactly measure the volume due to air gaps.

Old days?  I can still buy wood in un-split cords.  Although its usually Face Cords of un-split not full cords. 
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »

I grew up being told that a cord was a stack 4'x4'x8', or 128cu.ft.  Since I got my OWB, and all the research and reading I have done, I found that an actual "cord" of wood is  80 cu.ft. of solid wood, NO AIR spaces.  That would be like if you were able to somehow melt it down into a solid mass, I guess.  Anyway, I figure my cords at 100 cu.ft cut, split and stacked.  I feel I am pretty particular about how I stack and I try to get it pretty tight.  I burn approx 35 to 40 cord a year (based on this calculation).  It's 5 pulp truck loads which they like to call 8 cord anyway, so I figure it's got to be close.  100 cu.ft. method, if nothing else, makes for easy calculation and quick reference.
You should be using 128 cubic feet. The 80 cubic feet would be used if the wood was sawed into square blocks so there is no space.

tjdobbs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic 5036
  • 1st Fire - September 20, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »

Here is my experience from this year's wood cutting and stacking:  I bought a semi-load of mixed hardwoods, requesting 10" and smaller cut at 100" lengths.  I cut this wood twice per stick, each piece about 33" in length.  The semi-load is always sold as twelve cord when filled.  I believe the pile placed on my property measured twelve cord by my own measurements.  By requesting the smaller diameter logs I do not split any of the logs and I burn them whole.  After cutting, I stack the wood in straight rows nearby to the furnace. 
In answer to your question, the twelve cord semi-load of wood was reduced to nine cord when stacked neatly.  I specifically cut and stacked this wood so I could answer for myself the same question you had asked.  My first three years of burning, I only used leftovers from a logging operation.  I knew I was burning eight stacked cord per winter, but I needed to know how many cords delivered would equal my eight cord season.
The wood I bought here in northeast Wisconsin sold for $75 per cord, $900 per semi-load.  This will be enough for the season.  I paid $2950 for my last season of propane for a savings of $2050 per season if propane stayed steady.  This year my furnace and all of the components will have earned themselves back.
-Tall Tom

8 cord mixed un-split hardwood per year cut to 33 inch stovelengths.  2000 sq ft with Sidearm DWH.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »

That is funny, the 10 cord loads they sell around here are the exact same amount and cost the same for the load.

There are a lot more gaps on the full length logs because they are not straight.

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

I love it when they sell " cords"  like there is no easier way to sell it come on, I go by truck loads
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

A cord is a legal measurement. If you go by the truckload then the truck will start getting smaller.

The best way to do it would be by average moisture content and weight. Then you would know exactly what you are getting.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

1536 board feet in a cord (that would be solid wood...and a deal :o  )

by weight  you would have to know the moisture (average dry 20 percent) and wood type as cords of different wood can be almost a ton difference
 i think there is over 1000 pounds difference between red oak and white ash (per cord)

we could not buy cords by the pound but RSI is correct that bying wood by the pound (at equal amounts of moisture) we all would be getting the same deal

no matter what the type of wood a pound would yeild the same amount of btu's  you might buy  a pick up load of oak and a 3/4 ton truck loaded with ash and have the same amount of pounds (and btu's) the ash pile would look bigger but yeild the same amount of heat
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:13:43 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

tjdobbs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Classic 5036
  • 1st Fire - September 20, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

Wood is commonly sold by the semi-load.  The hauler knows how many cords are on the load by the height of the piles, the length of the truck used, and the cut length of the logs. The truck's dimensions, along with the correct filling determine how many cords are in the load.  Cords are always 128 cubic feet.  They are never measured by weight or by board feet or in gallons.  128 cubic feet.  Could be four by four by eight, two by four by sixteen, or even one by two by sixty-four.  128 cubic feet.
-Tall Tom

8 cord mixed un-split hardwood per year cut to 33 inch stovelengths.  2000 sq ft with Sidearm DWH.
Pages: [1] 2