Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Seasoned firewood  (Read 4022 times)

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
Seasoned firewood
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »

Hello everyone I have a few questions about seasoned fire wood! How long does it normally take to have good seasoned firewood from fresh cut down trees? Next question is I have access to old trees that have fallen down across the road or along side it is from the highway department  anyway most of the trees are pretty good size trees and they been setting for a 1yr or so in the weather I notice cutting the big trees like from 18" to 3' diameter there is mosture in them well I Split and stacked them up how long do you think before a person good burn them as good seasoned firewood? Thank you for all the info on this forum I am new to the owb's I got my new heatmaster mf 5000 rdy to go. I have burned a indoor wood stove for years and I know that good seasoned wood doesn't smoke as much and is more efficient and that is what I am trying to do thanks

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Seasoned firewood
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »

Your last sentence is correct.  I stay one year ahead on my firewood which works very well.  Also on your down trees, If thats all you have for this year, burn it.  It is somewhat dryer than green wood and splitting it would speed up the process.

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »

Way too many factors to give you a concrete time on seasoning.  But general rule is in the neighborhood of 1 year.  And that wood laying on the ground just sits there soaking up ground moisture - once off the ground though, it will be ready to burn faster than green wood.

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »

I have wood about 4 years old.  That wood sitting on the ground sure does absorb moisture.  We had some good rain the week before last.  Some of my wood wasn't covered with a tarp.  I split this wood.  The outside was slimy from sitting on the wet ground, but the inside felt dry.  Hey, I figured.  Big log.  Water won't soak through.  Wrong!  It felt dry inside, cold but dry.  I put it in the stove.  Stove wasn't heating up.  I looked at my wood.  There were boiling bubbles at the end of the wood.  Water had been sucked into the wood.  The wood couldn't heat the stove if it's heat was used to boil off water.

Birch and poplar are really bad for sucking up water.  They also rot quick if you don't burn it.

Tarps are a worthwhile investment.

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »

I collect wood and stack it during the spring if it is pine I burn it that winter if it is hard I like to think it will age a year, but sometimes I am lazy and grab wood from the closest pile
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »

I have wood about 4 years old.  That wood sitting on the ground sure does absorb moisture.  We had some good rain the week before last.  Some of my wood wasn't covered with a tarp.  I split this wood.  The outside was slimy from sitting on the wet ground, but the inside felt dry.  Hey, I figured.  Big log.  Water won't soak through.  Wrong!  It felt dry inside, cold but dry.  I put it in the stove.  Stove wasn't heating up.  I looked at my wood.  There were boiling bubbles at the end of the wood.  Water had been sucked into the wood.  The wood couldn't heat the stove if it's heat was used to boil off water.

Birch and poplar are really bad for sucking up water.  They also rot quick if you don't burn it.

Tarps are a worthwhile investment.
Yeah poplar and brich rots quick...Maple isnt far behind...Oak outlast's most wood rot wise
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »

I was told by some old timers to cut the wood for the next winter this winter. aka 1 year in advance, this way it keeps you warm twice!  :P
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

JS4466

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: TENNESSEE OUTDOOR FURNACE
  • OWF Model: HOSS 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

If you cut wood on Sunday it will burn hotter. >:D