Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: almost out of wood!  (Read 3230 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
almost out of wood!
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »

So my wood pile is almost gone right now.  It's not that I don't have a supply of wood, but it's a half hour away.  My dad owns a tree company, and he's got a monster pile of wood at his house.  I went to get a load of wood today in a 4x8 trailer with 4' sides (so, a cord of wood.  I loaded up the trailer and the tires were resting on the fenders.  So, I unloaded half of the trailer figuring some wood was better than no wood.  I started off and one of the tires went flat on the trailer, with no spare.  So the trailer with half a cord of wood is sitting at my parents house and I have about one day's worth of wood left.  Now, it's dumping snow on us.  We're at 8" now with no end in sight yet.  8" pretty much shuts the roads down around here, so I doubt I'll be getting wood tomorrow either. 

Now, I can get my blazer out on the roads in the morning, but I don't have a trailer to bring wood home in, I can't put wood in the blazer (or won't), and even if I could bring home a trailer full of wood, it would never make it up into my yard to my boiler with all the snow on the ground. 

I have a deuce and a half, but it's got the military NDT tires on it.  They suck on anything but hard surfaces.  It's a PITA to load wood into it as well.  I have a trailer for it even, but with short sides, so it could only hold a small load. 

My nearest source of coal is an hour away on a clear road.  That could hold me over for a few days perhaps if I got some.  Wood is free, though.

I should have brought home wood yesterday I guess.

This sucks....

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: almost out of wood!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »

i stay at least one year ahead and aim for 2 this wood burning thing is a learning experience. we have been spoiled with electric, gas and propane. We have been conditioned to just "throw the switch" it is always there. We all need to re-trained and your situation has taught you "the hard way" about pre-planning

we have all likely had a taste of that.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »

This would be my first year running.  It's not that I don't have a large source of wood to draw from, it's just 30 minutes away and this snow situation is really making it difficult.  Hopefully next year I'm going to have at least 5 trailers for my deuce to tow, and I'm going to have those trailers stacked with about 1.5 cords each.  If I empty one trailer, I'll pull another one next to my boiler and then go fill up the empty one again in the next few days. 

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »

Well if I had Duece and 8" of snow.The boiler was my only heat source.Well I would be chucking wood up in that bed if it were me.Cowboy up! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Heck it is gonna hold alot more wood than a puny little 4x8 trailer anyways.Sounds like you need a bigger trailer anyways.Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Hope you get you some wood :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »

just get in the duce and go like hell that way when you hit the ditch you went out in all of its glory lol. it sucks to run out of wood

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »

It's above freezing right now.  Hopefully some of this snow melts off.  I think I can go fix the tire and grab that 4x8 trailer now and just park it in my driveway.  The wife can lug wood up to the boiler tomorrow while I'm at work.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »

It's above freezing right now.  Hopefully some of this snow melts off.  I think I can go fix the tire and grab that 4x8 trailer now and just park it in my driveway.  The wife can lug wood up to the boiler tomorrow while I'm at work.
If anything is gonna keep you from gettin wood, it would be makin the wife lug wood up the hill to the boiler! ;D ;D ;D. I zm with the others, get in the deuce and go for it. And next summer, put some rubber on it so it isn't worthless to you when you need it the most. Just my $.02/ adjusted for inflation(that don't exist) Probably closer to $1.50 ???