Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie checking in  (Read 3217 times)

Fourced

• View Profile
Newbie checking in
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »

I am bound and determined to shake the propane monkey off my back, so I have been collecting and reading.

Great site, great info.

I have a 120 gal propane tank, and am getting a 500 gal underground fuel oil tank. My goal is to have it running by next winter.
All input is appreciated, Do you think the 120/500 is a good match? I will post dimensions and pictures as I get them.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie checking in
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »

Welcome to the site, 500 - 120 = 380 gallons of water = nice owb.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:58 AM »

Welcome to the site :thumbup:
Sounds like you have a start to a plan.just do alot of research on here or other sites.go look at stoves at dealers.ask questions and we'll be more than glad tohelp you.
Good luck
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Fourced

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Thanks Guys, I have been in the planning phase for almost 2 years. I was just waiting for the right(free) pieces for the project.

I will be heating a 2500 sq/ft medium to well insulated house, and a 1600 sq/ft garage w/apartment over it. The garage and appt are medium insulated.

I am good a backyard fabbing and (I think at least) a better than average welder. I think this project will go well.

You guys are a wealth of info, and I have been reading till my eyes hurt.

My questions are:

Do you put something under the back of the fire box for support? How much room under the fire box?

Do you have a hatch in case you ever need to get in side it again? Or do you just weld it up and forget it?

What are recommended tweaks? I see cross over pipes in some fire boxes. Do they help and how much?

I saw one post that suggested running your chimney pipes straight back to a box then mount the main chimney pipe on the box, I like this idea and wondered if anyone had pics of a setup like this.

Thanks in advance.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »

Thanks Guys, I have been in the planning phase for almost 2 years. I was just waiting for the right(free) pieces for the project.

I will be heating a 2500 sq/ft medium to well insulated house, and a 1600 sq/ft garage w/apartment over it. The garage and appt are medium insulated.

I am good a backyard fabbing and (I think at least) a better than average welder. I think this project will go well.

You guys are a wealth of info, and I have been reading till my eyes hurt.

My questions are:

Do you put something under the back of the fire box for support? How much room under the fire box?
Yes you will neeed to support the back of the firebox.I have around 2 or 3 " nder mine if i remember right.
Do you have a hatch in case you ever need to get in side it again? Or do you just weld it up and forget it?
Nope no hatch.Just a plasma cutter if i need inside.No reason to get to the inside though.If there was to be a leak.You will be fixing it in the firebox or the outside of the water jacket.
What are recommended tweaks? I see cross over pipes in some fire boxes. Do they help and how much?
There are all kinds of different theorys and designs out there,you will just have to decide on what features you want.then we can help you out if you want opinons o your plan.
I saw one post that suggested running your chimney pipes straight back to a box then mount the main chimney pipe on the box, I like this idea and wondered if anyone had pics of a setup like this.just have to loo around and see what kind of pics you can find

Thanks in advance.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV