Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please tell me its not just me!  (Read 6878 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Please tell me its not just me!
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »

Am I the only one that is really anal about the length/shape of their firewood? 

I am thankful that people call me or let me know of someone that is getting rid of firewood however, I've been a few places to get wood that was "already cut up and ready to go" and I get there and some pieces might be 10 inches long and some might be 26.  Some pieces have a section in them where a branch used to be but they didn't cut it off flush so it makes it a pain is the ass to stack. 

I helped a friend cut up a maple tree last weekend.  It was a decent sized tree and he had a few guys from work come over and help us.  With three guys running saws we had all different sized logs.  Some of the ends were so crooked that I couldn't stand them up to split when I got home and they might have only been 10 inches long. 

Maybe I'm just weird?  Please tell me that I'm not the only one!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell me its not just me!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »

Nope - Your not the only one!  My wood is always cut within 2 - 3 inches of the same length and all limbs cut off flush with the tree.  If I get help, they don't do the cutting.  I do all the cutting because I know they can't suit me!! :thumbup:

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

You're not alone.  I know I like the wood at 24" long so I put a mark on my chainsaw where 24" stops and measure every piece before I cut.  I like to have my wood pile looking good.  Perhaps I suffer from a bit of OCD but it's my wood pile.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Okay so maybe I'm not so weird.  I have one friend who is really good at cutting logs the same length as I like them.  Luckily, he is the one that owns the 250 acres where I usually cut wood so it works out good. 

I knew a guy that used to sell firewood and I helped him one day and my job was just to go through and mark every log with a measuring stick that he used to make every piece the exact same size.  It makes it so much easier when everything is the same!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

i think i have one eye that sees longer than the other .  I can't ever seem to get them all cut the same length. lol   And i just don't have the time to measure every single piece before i put the saw to it. So, you know what my stack looks like. lol

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

i think i have one eye that sees longer than the other .  I can't ever seem to get them all cut the same length. lol   And i just don't have the time to measure every single piece before i put the saw to it. So, you know what my stack looks like. lol
mine is the same (eye that is) 18 to 24 as long as it goes in the door
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

Any wood that Im gonna stack in my pole shed is taped and marked before or as I cut my wood.. So your not weird!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

I made marking tools so I could cut all my logs to either 40" so they fit in my stove just right. Anything to big is cut to 24" so it will fit in my log splitter.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »

I cut mine exactly 3 to 36 inches. If it fits in the stove it burns. I don't have time to worry about perfect length like I was using an indoor wood stove. A lot of my wood is from logging butts and culls so its hard to come up with the perfect size all the time. I even burn the wedges cut out when felling. Waste not want not...

What do you guys do if you get to the end of the stick and you are 4" short of your size? Just leave it?  ???
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »

I like it the same size but  once I get going I end up with everything for 4" to 24"
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

IF its FREE its for me! I go around and pick up wood along the roads. (thanks sandy) This is my third year with my OWF and havent paid for wood yet. Now thanks to sandy iam at least 2yrs ahead
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

BIGDIESEL20S

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »

I like my wood pile to look good as well, Most all my cuts are 22"-24" but if some end up a little short of that they come home as well. As for the limb cut off's and crotch piece's they come home as well if they are no good for stacking they go in a pile behind wood pile (out of sight) then they go to stove first and the good looking stacks stay good looking stacks even longer.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
HOME MADE PICKUP BED TRAILER
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »

I cut mine exactly 3 to 36 inches. If it fits in the stove it burns. I don't have time to worry about perfect length like I was using an indoor wood stove. A lot of my wood is from logging butts and culls so its hard to come up with the perfect size all the time. I even burn the wedges cut out when felling. Waste not want not...

What do you guys do if you get to the end of the stick and you are 4" short of your size? Just leave it?  ???

Me too, I try to keep it sort of close but I bring it all home.  Those little wedges drop nicely between the stack of wood in the furnace and the front of the furnace.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »

Me too, I try to keep it sort of close but I bring it all home.  Those little wedges drop nicely between the stack of wood in the furnace and the front of the furnace.

It must be a Dolmar thing... :thumbup:
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »

I have a tote that I throw odd ball stuff in. Keeps the place a little neater than just throwing a pile of scraps every where.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter
Pages: [1] 2