Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please tell me its not just me!  (Read 6881 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell me its not just me!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

I have thought about making a pile for the odd ball stuff. The only issue I usually run into is that it's usually green wood and it would have to sit in that pile for a while before I burnt it.  If it was dry I would bring the scraps home and burn them first...
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »

I try to be consistent with my log lengths.  I set aside the short pieces and knots and even some of the bark and slat peices that break off when splitting.  Usually I find this stuff to be difficult to burn up in my CB E-2300.  The doorway is so big that it would be hard to pile this stuff in without it all falling out at me.  Last year I added a Wood Doctor Boiler (long story, but the price was right).  Last year I got my last weeks worth of heat out of these scraps of wood and this year I started the Wood Doctor first and got my first 2 weeks worth of heat.  The Wood Doctor has a large firebox with 2 doors.  The upper door is the regular fill door and I can just pile all the odd stuff in there.  Even green it burns it up pretty well.  Helps me to keep the grounds cleaned up at least. 
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

to the point... I've gotten to where I can cut and be within an inch or less of the length I want. I started out years ago measuring 18 in with a tape measure and striping the log with my chain tool.  I got so used to it that I don't even need to measure now.  One year I had a guy buy 6 loads of oak but he had to have it less than 18 inches for his burner.  We literally went through measuring one piece at a time to see if it was less than 18 in to get his 6 truck loads.  It was a struggle let me tell you.  From that point on, I started cutting my wood shorter and got to where I can cut less than 18 in consistently. 

Now to add to my situation, I am cutting my OWB wood longer b/c I can burn 4 ft logs so I have to take into account what I am cutting for and I can generally get it the length I want without measuring.  Practice has taken away the time of measuring.  So to answer the question.  I think we are all anal about our wood. lol
Pages: 1 [2]