Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Splitting longer logs?  (Read 6089 times)

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
Splitting longer logs?
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »

Hello gents got myself a new furnace but I need pieces around 32" in length how the hell are you guys splitting big stuff like that ? I built a best of a splitter 4 yrs ago but max length is 24" loosing a lot of space in the new unit and it's driving me nuts..

Thanks
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Splitting longer logs?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »

Built mine around a 36" stroke cylinder, a neighbor has a beast of splitter built around a 50" stroke with a six inch cylinder off an excavator. Has a little 4 cylinder diesel running it, also splits six ways, he quit letting anybody borrow it as do something stupid and it will break. Usually rips the wedge right off or bows the i beam.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

My firebox is 30 inches deep.  My splitter splits wood 24 inches.  When I load my wood, I keep it stacked to the very front of the firebox.  Burns better that way.  If I feel I need to fill it all the way up to get to my next filling, I will just throw some behind what I stacked in the front but stack it the opposite way.

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »

I do sort of like jerkash,  I stack mine in and usually have the little chunks and knots that pop off that I always have left over after splitting to fill in the empty spot.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »

Try laying the logs down and split long ways I do it on the logs that don't fit and it works most of the times
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »

I don't split, just dry. Don't see the need, lots of people split theirs tho.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »

My boiler can take a 42 in log..I split everything  24 inch..Same burn time and fill time..easier to handle.. I do own a splitter that can split 4 foot wood
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »

I don't split, just dry. Don't see the need, lots of people split theirs tho.

I've handled stuff I had to cut it from both sides with a 28" bar, if you can pick that up and put it in my boiler your three times the man I am.

Also have a skid steer mounted splitter and a grapple for the skid steer.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

ITO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 06:09:01 AM »

I've handled stuff I had to cut it from both sides with a 28" bar, if you can pick that up and put it in my boiler your three times the man I am. Also have a skid steer mounted splitter and a grapple for the skid steer.
[/quote]
 Well 56" round logs are sure a different story, LOL, I cut firewood and nothing that big, don't own a skid steer, grapple or space station. Was only trying to say for me cutting trees for boiler firewood I would rather not handle them two more times at the splitter. The bigger diameter they are the shorter I cut them, after a while of cutting this way I can look and see what we can handle. Just because the boiler is 4' doesn't mean I need to cut every piece 4', to each his own tho.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »

Well 56" round logs are sure a different story, LOL, I cut firewood and nothing that big, don't own a skid steer, grapple or space station. Was only trying to say for me cutting trees for boiler firewood I would rather not handle them two more times at the splitter. The bigger diameter they are the shorter I cut them, after a while of cutting this way I can look and see what we can handle. Just because the boiler is 4' doesn't mean I need to cut every piece 4', to each his own tho.

Having a farm is a distinct advantage when it comes to cutting firewood. Own not quite 50 acres of woods then have fencerows to keep cleaned on a thousand rented acres.

Buying all the attachments for a skid steer can cost as much as the skid steer. Have a grapple, post hole digger, forks, bale spear, rock bucket, the splitter and a limb hog. Looking into a brush hog for it as well.

Built an upside down splitter when i did it, sit in the seat and push buttons. Decided it was time to always work smarter rather than harder whenever possible. Fathers had a few back surgeries, a artificial hip and knee, decided I wanted to be in better shape when I reached his age.

Limbhog: http://www.limbhog.com
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

ITO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »

Well we're talking apples and oranges mlappin, all I have is an old 4 wheeler, chainsaw and an axe. We cut our firewood from dead oak on a wooded 40 acre lot we live on and an adjoining 60. Mostly what we cut is smaller, we have had some of it selectively logged for lumber and I think will do another section next winter, that pays back well and creates a few years of firewood at the same time. In this way I can't really justify splitting for the boiler, we hand split for the hunting shack, sauna and camping. Having a farm requires many pieces of equipment, I would make use of that resource if I were you also.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »

Oh no doubt, when we still had a wood furnace in the basement we cut a LOT of tops up. And still had some hand splitting of course. Once I built the outdoor boiler we cut the smaller stuff 3-4 foot long

I always have people giving me wood though as well, stuff that is way too big for them to cut let alone split. Tree services drop it off to them, then after they get a good pile of large stuff I hook the trailer to the 5 yard dump truck, load the skid steer up with the grapple and go get it. Works good for security purposes, I've heard in the past some of the tree services employ a lot of seasonal help and that help has been caught in the past helping themselves to stuff either at where they trimmed/dropped a tree or the place they went and dumped it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »

Hello gents got myself a new furnace but I need pieces around 32" in length how the hell are you guys splitting big stuff like that ? I built a best of a splitter 4 yrs ago but max length is 24" loosing a lot of space in the new unit and it's driving me nuts..

Thanks
I'm wondering the same thing. I've looked at a bunch of horizontal/vertical models on line and can't seem to find one that splits any bigger than 26 inches. How well do these types peform?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »

Thanks
I'm wondering the same thing. I've looked at a bunch of horizontal/vertical models on line and can't seem to find one that splits any bigger than 26 inches. How well do these types peform?
You won't find any at the home depot's stores, lowes etc. that will split bigger than 26 in wood.. Heres the brand I use to splitting wood..Timberwolf and American CSL log splitters..The CSL you can get in 30in, 36 in and 48 in..Timberwolf you can get in 36in
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40