Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burning junk wood  (Read 4420 times)

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Burning junk wood
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »

By junk wood, I mean big tooth aspen (most call it poplar) and pine (white, red, jack).

I've been burning hardwood almost exclusively (hard maple and oak).  Even with sub zero temps, I can load a small amount compared to the size of the firebox (with a good bed of coals) and get 12 hours burn time.  I sometimes throw in a couple junk wood pieces on top of the hardwoods, but when I do, it's only about 20% of the total amount I put in.

My question is this.  If I were to be burning just junk wood, would I have to basically stuff the firebox full of it to get a 12 hour burn time?  Seems like if I put just junkwood in and used the same quantity that I use for hardwoods, I'd have to load it about every 4-6 hours.

Thoughts?
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

CRJR

• View Profile
Re: Burning junk wood
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »

When I burn those species of wood alone i can't keep a bed of coals it just turns to powder. so I just mix them in with the hard woods or burn them in warmer weather + 30℉

agriffinjd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »

When I burn those species of wood alone i can't keep a bed of coals it just turns to powder. so I just mix them in with the hard woods or burn them in warmer weather + 30℉

When you burn junk in the warmer weather, do you find yourself putting in more wood than you did in the cold weather using just good stuff?  Similar burn times?
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Stihl_Hammer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »

My boiler seems to do fine with lesser quality wood-for a while when we were in the 30's all I burned was poplar and mulberry. I almost didn't even bother with that wood, but I figured since I already had it I might as well try it. I was getting 12 hour burns no problem-sometimes the draft door wasn't even open when I came to fill it. As far as proportions I'm not sure, this is my first year with this boiler and I'm still figuring it out. All I know is that if it keeps my house and water warm I don't really care what the species is, I just need heat. I've got hardwoods (ash, locust, beech) but why burn those when it's warm out? Until I'm in single digits and below I'm not planning on burning 100% hardwood. Even when it's in the teens and 20's I'll at least mix a few softwoods in there.

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »

Fill it up with your junk wood and try it out. Way too many variables for someone else to answer your question.
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »

i burn 75 percent junk and i mean junk
rotten, softwood, poplar,bambagilia,tamarack,you name it ,i`ll burn.
just fill her up and get what you can get out of it
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

agriffinjd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

Right now most of my junk wood is buried under a tarp with 3-4' of snow on it so I was wondering if I should dig it out or just keep cutting the hardwood logs up...I'll probably wait for some snow melt and see how it goes then.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 07:15:16 PM »

My boiler seems to do fine with lesser quality wood-for a while when we were in the 30's all I burned was poplar and mulberry. I almost didn't even bother with that wood, but I figured since I already had it I might as well try it. I was getting 12 hour burns no problem-sometimes the draft door wasn't even open when I came to fill it. As far as proportions I'm not sure, this is my first year with this boiler and I'm still figuring it out. All I know is that if it keeps my house and water warm I don't really care what the species is, I just need heat. I've got hardwoods (ash, locust, beech) but why burn those when it's warm out? Until I'm in single digits and below I'm not planning on burning 100% hardwood. Even when it's in the teens and 20's I'll at least mix a few softwoods in there.
Mulberry is good stuff.   Pretty high on the btu charts.

JTS717

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
  • East-Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »

I have a pile of pine that has been stacked for 4 years since I usually just use it for bonfires.  I have been burning it in the owb now but only when it is real cold out.  I have a hard time keeping the fire going when it gets warm out since my boiler is oversized for my current house.  So I keep the good coaling hardwood for when it gets warm out and burn through the "junk" when it is cold. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »

I mainly burn any junk wood during the fall time and early winter.. After that I burn the hard wood..I might mix it with some pine if I have any. S**t wood as I call it.. doesn't last long like the hardwood in sub zero and below zero weather..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 06:40:51 AM »

I use that stuff for the fall and spring seasons and it seems to work out to almost the same times as the hardwood in the cold part of the year

Propster

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Aquatherm
  • OWF Model: 145
  • MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »

Anybody have any concern at all with sap/tar/pitch from burning pine? I've never done so , just curious whether it has any negative effect on the stove. Thanks.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »

I burn pine year round this was a tough winter and I got easy 12 hr burn time the only trouble I had was the real green rounds would not fall rite and it would burn it self out. next winter I will burn more season pine!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl