Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ridgewood going out of business  (Read 13286 times)

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Ridgewood going out of business
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »

Just took a look at the Ridgewood Stove web site, Big bold letters.... "Going out of business liquidation sale" I guess after Craig left,
things didn't work out so well for Tim on his own. Looks like some pretty low prices on their remaining stoves. I wish I had a spare $3500
laying around, I'd buy a spare.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Ridgewood going out of business
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »

Sorry to hear it, a lot of owners are very pleased with their Ridgewoods.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

right2bear

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

Yup... Tim is a total tool. He actually told my buddy to F#@k off, he don't want to sell his picky as@ a stove... Craig was the upmost respectable person to deal with, while Tim went out of his way to be a douche bag to me and everyone else. I hope he goes bankrupt. And this scares me to think about how my warranty will be dealt with if needed in the future. >:(

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »

Anyone get wind of where Craig went? Was a stand up dude..  We can all kiss our warranty goodbye.  Did the math he is trying to unload his total inventory worth a total of $329,048.  Reduced pricing is not very good, I bought my stove new for 3,500 on off season was the regular discount.  In the business world we call this chatter.  Maybe our first sign of a boiler company that can't keep up with new regulations going under... Many more could meet the same doom.  On the other side of the coin boiler manufacturers that could afford to upgrade and testing will boom because the competition will lessen.  Regulation at it's finest.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:31:36 AM by intensedrive »

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »

i read this yesterday on their site as well as i was browsing...i also heard Tim was selling directly to customers and cutting out the dealers. I spoke to a few dealers whom are not happy at all, they totally got screwed. a few of them didnt even know that they were "going out of business"....thats good communication for you!!!

Chicken farmer

• OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »

That's a bummer. Guess I'll have to get a Garn and start posting up there................
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 02:00:20 AM »

From a Ridgewood to a garn, that's quite a step in the opposite direction isn't it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Vincent Paul

• OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 03:38:17 AM »

I was completely dismayed at this news about Ridgewood.  We purchased ours 2 years ago and have had nothing but good luck with it.  Simple design, little electronics to go wrong, let's not beat up on Tim or Craig for not being able to hold the company together.  If you want to beat anyone up, the guy lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington D.C. 

Let's continue to support all Ridgewood owners on this site!
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

right2bear

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »

Some of you need to realize, this is not about EPA regulations! Michigan passed a bill, stating they will not, and do not, need to abide by the EPA's standards.

This is simply, just rewards for a total asshole, that deserves to be out of business. Craig couldn't deal with Tim since he got out of prison, and bailed. Good for him. Tim is a crook, and word traveled fast about his unprofessional, rude, cheating ways. The business took a hit, and they no longer can stay above water. I alone warned 6 people that were in the process of buying one to stay clear. The mother inlaw, my father, our neighbor, my wifes boss, and two of the guys I work with. All of them called Rigdewood, and all of them said Tim was a bit of a prick to deal with.

Karma....

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »

Some of you need to realize, this is not about EPA regulations! Michigan passed a bill, stating they will not, and do not, need to abide by the EPA's standards.

They can try that all they want, once the feds decide to start with holding funds, Michigan will follow the EPA standard then. Not to sound like a prick, but once you have a government that thinks its all powerful, it doesn’t like to ignored.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:51:18 AM »

We are on our second year with our stove, with only a few minor issues. Tim was the only person I ever spoke with at RW. He always answered his phone or called me back same day.

I hate to see any start up go out of business for any reason. I am guessing our warranty will go away when they close.

U.P. Doug

• Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »

I agree with mlappin, once the Feds decide they want to enforce it they will, and it boils down to money. I have had my stove for 2 years as well, still has the original solenoid in it, and no added stacks. I did fabricate a small adjustable blower for helping burn green wood, that is 60cfm max I believe, and adjusted to around 15 Cfm to keep from blowing the heat out of the stack. I have had zero issues with mine and very happy with how simple its controls are. If you think about it, it's a round firebox around 3/8 thick surrounded by a round water jacket pretty much like most of the conventional stoves, air in smoke out, really not much else going on there. I do not have any creosote on my door, it is clean. I run mine at 165 on and 180 out unless it drops below 0 here then I set it for 169 on 183 off. I have been getting great burn times this year by using less wood, especially during the days when I just add a few pcs in the morning. Sorry to see them go out of business , but I fabricate for a living and pretty much planned on fixing anything that goes wrong myself. I was going to make my own stove, but bought my 7500 for 4300.00 bucks, making it hard to justify buying the steel.

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »

Its too bad they are going out of business. Always very helpful to me when I had the 7500 (2014-15 season).

Had a problem burning up solenoids. I'm not a fabricator and trying to get my friends to help me modify the door draft was a joke, so that never happened.   

For the clearance prices, its a stove that's hard to beat. Pretty simple set up. The only thing I would do is modify the door draft so it worked like the old wood doctors or the current non-gasser Hawkens.     
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Vincent Paul

• Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »

mlappin & updoug are spot on.  My post was to direct the attention of the quality of the Ridgewood which so far has been great.  I don't buy into beating up those who tried their best.  I believe we bought a good product for the money.  ZERO problems so far and if we have some, we will  fix/fabricate them ourselves.  That is what being a conservative means.  Quit expecting everyone to fix your problems, SLIMJIM and so many others have been awesome help to me and so let's not beat up on the owners who tried.  Let's continue to help all those who have a Ridgewood stove and any future problems they may have ( including myself - a non fabricator but am grateful to those who help daily ).  Many thanks to all who helped us install our Ridgewood 2 years ago, I finally have a really warm home with wood cut off our farm.  SLIMJIM, I can only hope to meet you one day.  Maybe after hay season!!!!!
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

ridgeman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »

Well just my luck there going out of business because Saturday I was out filling stove and found two nice cracks in firebox down by door opening. Pulled tin off below door and the one crack goes all the way down into the water jacket. Have no idea how it isn't leaking. Called Tim and this was before I saw the going out of business on their site. Tim didn't seem to find it an issue and and told me to temperately fix it with fiberglass. I was rather mad since this things only a year and a half old. Its been pretty good this year but last year I went through like 4 or 5 solenoids and its on its third aquastat. I ended up running a ground rod in 8 foot and grounded machine to that and i have not had any more issues with that. But now I have a cracked firebox and I told tim I wanted a new stove once heating seasons done. He just laughed it off and noe he won't even return my phone calls. I did however still have Craig's number and I able to talk to him. He obviously does not own or is even affiliated with Ridgewood and him and tim are not on speaking terms. Long story short Craig said Tims not holding up on the warrenty stuff like he should and now he's try to liquidate a whole lot of inventory. I think he diserves another prison sentence.
Pages: [1] 2