Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ridgewood going out of business  (Read 12644 times)

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgewood going out of business
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »

Wow, this is certainly bad news. I just purchased mine and this is my first season with it, although no issues up to now with solenoids, aquastat, etc. The few times I personally contacted Tim was always able to get a hold of him by phone and when wasn't, he'll return the call the same day. I just hope and pray that the warranty is honored?

Sad the company ended up this way, I have nothing but good things to say in regards to the purchase and communication with them.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »

Wow....that's crazy. Hope u get your stove fixed!

tbone211

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »

I've been looking at these stoves for over a year and doing alot of research on other stoves as well with the price drop it seems like the way to go but after reading these threads about all the solenoid problems and not wanting to hold up to the warranty I may go another way. I did talk to tim right before they put that on the website and he said he would cover the boiler for 1 yr but sounds to me like that probably won't happen.

njohnson

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »

I will say this tim was very nice and friendly until I had a problem he should had stood behind he more less told me I was an idiot and there was nothing wrong with my stove he has not stood behind any problem I've had my stove is still not a year old with that being said I knew when I ordered my stove they may not be around long with all the epa crap I'm a handy person and knew I could fix almost any problem I had it a very simple boiler and at a good price am I happy with it yes and no I like it but I'm unhappy with the problems I've had and the way tim as treated me he could had just told me they were going to be going out of business and not been an ass to me with that being said if your a handy person It mite be worth it

Chicken farmer

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »

From a Ridgewood to a garn, that's quite a step in the opposite direction isn't it.

Slim,

It is quite the opposite direction. The Garn was always the "final" step, but the money was not there. I guess now since Heatmaster and P&M have started making high end gassers, I might consider them too. Honestly, it will probably be a Heatmaster, but for now the Ridgewood will continue to maintain station right here it's at..
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 03:30:10 AM »

Run what you have, save some money and by then who knows what will be available, perhaps somebody will have one that produces power for the home being heated.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »

Run what you have, save some money and by then who knows what will be available, perhaps somebody will have one that produces power for the home being heated.

They already have something in europe that generates electricity from your exhaust stack heat, quite expensive and only produces 1KW.

I can’t seem to find the link now, but basically operates like a stirling engine but moves a magnet up and down in a coil.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

MScott

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 4030
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »

They already have something in europe that generates electricity from your exhaust stack heat, quite expensive and only produces 1KW.

I can’t seem to find the link now, but basically operates like a stirling engine but moves a magnet up and down in a coil.

Not quite the same idea, but I have hooked the cooling system of my diesel generator into the OWB water system. I got tired of vibration problems destroying the radiator on the 3 cyl. diesel engine and also thought it rediculous to waste all the heat produced so I removed the rad and added  piping to circulate heated water through the engine. Not only will it raise the water temperature when running, but the engine remains at operating temperature so starts are much easier. I should note that I am off grid and, while I don't use the generator all the time, I do run it for short periods when the sun doesn't shine such as today. :)
Eastern Ontario
Sthil MS 290
Sthil MS 180 C
Polaris ATV
Bush Buddy trailer
Wallenstein wood splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »

Not quite the same idea, but I have hooked the cooling system of my diesel generator into the OWB water system. I got tired of vibration problems destroying the radiator on the 3 cyl. diesel engine and also thought it rediculous to waste all the heat produced so I removed the rad and added  piping to circulate heated water through the engine. Not only will it raise the water temperature when running, but the engine remains at operating temperature so starts are much easier. I should note that I am off grid and, while I don't use the generator all the time, I do run it for short periods when the sun doesn't shine such as today. :)

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »

You run the boiler water through the engine?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 06:42:44 PM »

Not sure how boiler water and proper diesel antifreeze compare.

I’ve had to re-sleeve a few diesels before as they didn’t have the right anti freeze and the pits in the sleeves eventually went clear thru.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

MScott

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 4030
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »

I really don't know if this will be a problem long term. The boiler water does have a rust inhibitor and no one I spoke with thought there would be a problem. I guess I'll find out. :-\ It certainly does increase the reliability of the cooling system as I have had to replace several radiators due to vibration fractures and I like the fact that the engine is kept at operating temperature so that it is easier to start in cold weather (much easier on glow plugs and starting system.) Certainly if anyone has any knowledge of the detrimental effect of using boiler water in an engine I would be interested in knowing it. It could be isolated with antifreeze and a heat exchanger.
Eastern Ontario
Sthil MS 290
Sthil MS 180 C
Polaris ATV
Bush Buddy trailer
Wallenstein wood splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »

I don't think there would be a problem When I was a young fella, around here all the heavy machinery ran on straight water all summer because dozers and excavators and tiling machines and such equipment was left on the job (and often it was in the middle of no where) and if you dared leave a hint of that sweet antifreeze smell, your rad would be drained nightly!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »

I was going to do it at one time and don't remember exactly why I decided against it. I know some boiler treatment are not compatible with aluminum. Using a marine heat exchanger works really well to connect a boiler to engine. It wouldn't keep the engine hot though unless you have an electric pump on the engine side.
Pages: 1 [2]