Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Door Gasket  (Read 8081 times)

Pennrungold

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Sequoyah
  • OWF Model: Whispering Pine 4400
    • View Profile
Door Gasket
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

This year is my fourth one using my OWB.  I noticed last winter the door gaskets needed replaced.  So I bought the fiberglass rope and installed with high temp adhesive.  Been two months now and the gaskets are hard!  Anyone got any remedies besides replacement? :bash:
Wilbur
Penn Run, Pa.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Door Gasket
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

This year is my fourth one using my OWB.  I noticed last winter the door gaskets needed replaced.  So I bought the fiberglass rope and installed with high temp adhesive.  Been two months now and the gaskets are hard!  Anyone got any remedies besides replacement? :bash:

Do you have creosote issues?  I think I spoke with you on the phone a while back????

They get hard, but normally still seal for 3-4 years...  You can put a layer of silicone over the entire gasket to protect them, but never seen it as necessary
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »

Ayuh,....   Use Hi-temp Silicone RTV...

If it's just hard, 'n not fallin' off, Don't worry 'bout it,....     it's still workin'...

If it's fallin' off,...  Glue it back on with Sillycone...
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »

Gaskets can start leaking and show no signs of "falling off".

Creosote soaked gaskets become hard and make the door harder to seal. 

I see far more problems in general with over sized stoves and stoves that sit idling for long periods, this is one of those problems I see.  Gaskets should last 4 years maybe more, some replace every year tho
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mikey37

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood Stove
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »

When I first got my stove 2 years ago, the gasket seemed hard as well. I spoke with the company owner and he suggested wetting it a little and making sure the door was tunked down nice and tight. Worked well for me, my gasket formed around the door frame better, no trouble since!

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:55 AM »

Soak the rope gasket with WD40 and it will stay soft a lot longer.  Otherwize, if the rope starts to leak I take high temp silicone and spread a bead on the area where the rope touches the flange then take wax paper and cover the silicone so it wont stick to the flange.  Close the door lightly so the silicone presses into the rope.  Let the silicone cure for 24hrs before closing the door completely. 
Both of these fixes work very well!
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »

I had creosote problems in the past and was replacing gaskets two or three times per season.  Since the creosote issue has been fixed my gasket which consists of fiberglass rope with a layer of high temp silicone over it remains in very good shape.

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »

never herd that one before but good ideal will be using that one thanks

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »

I will run this one by you guys and see what you think. My installer quit years ago, that's when I started watching this site but he told me that the gasket can be tested by getting a good burn going and holding a "smoking" candle, cigar, cigarette around the door with it closed, if the gasket is leaky it will suck the smoke into the door and not to replace it until it needed it. Sound right to you?
 By the way I have never replaced my door gasket, seem to get good smolder fires and have smoked quite a few cigars to test!

Ayuh,....   Sounds like a sure fire way to find an air leak,....

pun intended,.... ;D
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.