Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: what to do during with unattended owb  (Read 2663 times)

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
what to do during with unattended owb
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »

I had always wondered what exactly to do if I needed to leave the stove unattended while away during the heating season. Well, for the past four days I have been away in Florida (70's, by the way!) and I hadn't gathered enough small wood for my wife to load, so I thought I'd see if I could maintain the temps above freezing without having a fire while someone was home to monitor.

My indoor system is an oil fired boiler that I connect to my owb via a 80 plate heat exchanger. I closed the valves at the exchanger so heat was not exchanged and turned on the money-burning oil furnace.  The stove temperature bottomed out at 50F after 5 days of no heat with near 5F temps in the evening and 20's during the day. I now feel liberated knowing I don't need to have the stove babysat if I want to go out of town in the winter.

After seeing how much oil I used during those 5 days, I'm thankful to have the owb.
Central MD

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
Re: what to do during with unattended owb
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:46:34 PM »

sorry for the subject line mistake!
Central MD

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »

I had a similar experience this past weekend when I was away.  My OWB has a blower/fan, so I let the fire die down and turned power off to the OWB prior to leaving, but connected the water circulator to a separate outlet.  My theory is why let the blower/fan blow cold air all weekend cooling down the water.   I came home Sunday and water temp was at 119 degrees.  We had single digit nights and 20s during the day....

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »

I left on a Friday at noon and returned at 6 p.m. on Sunday. Before I left, I crammed it full of oak and mulberry and turned the house down to 60 and the hot tub down a few degrees. Outside temps averaged 30 or so. When I got home water temp was normal and I still had done wood left!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »

I left on a Friday at noon and returned at 6 p.m. on Sunday. Before I left, I crammed it full of oak and mulberry and turned the house down to 60 and the hot tub down a few degrees. Outside temps averaged 30 or so. When I got home water temp was normal and I still had done wood left!

Cant beat that
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:07 AM »

I had always wondered what exactly to do if I needed to leave the stove unattended while away during the heating season. Well, for the past four days I have been away in Florida (70's, by the way!) and I hadn't gathered enough small wood for my wife to load, so I thought I'd see if I could maintain the temps above freezing without having a fire while someone was home to monitor.

My indoor system is an oil fired boiler that I connect to my owb via a 80 plate heat exchanger. I closed the valves at the exchanger so heat was not exchanged and turned on the money-burning oil furnace.  The stove temperature bottomed out at 50F after 5 days of no heat with near 5F temps in the evening and 20's during the day. I now feel liberated knowing I don't need to have the stove babysat if I want to go out of town in the winter.

After seeing how much oil I used during those 5 days, I'm thankful to have the owb.

By me in Illinois.    During thanksgiving week we were in SC Hilton Head.    It was below zero at night For piece of mind I put two thermostatic electric heaters in mine one in the firebox and one in the reaction chamber I shut down the day before I left and it was keeping the water at 120 so I felt a lot better about leaving.  When I got back it was still at that temp.

Jack
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »

Its a good habit to try to get into, but if you have any neighbors with OWB offer to feed theirs if they'll return the favor. Normally my Dad can keep mine loaded when he does cattle chores for me while I'm gone. I have another neighbor that I feed his when he's on holiday, he's offered to do the same for mine.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »

Mlappin, that's what we do here. I even run the neighbor's when he's at work. Normal days no need, but when its as cold as its been lately and the wind starts blowing, I just run next door around 1 and throw some in to make sure he's good til supper time. He helps me out too. Nice to have good neighbors. From what I hear, that's not easy to find, so I guess I lucked out big time.