Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is the temp in your water jacket?  (Read 4240 times)

lovin4kids

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: home built
    • View Profile
What is the temp in your water jacket?
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »

My aquastat is set at 190, and the temp gauge says it's 190.  However, the water in the supply line is much cooler.  I have tried several different pumps, and am currently running a Taco 011.  Out of curiosity, I pulled back the insulation and put my hand on the tank.  The top 8 inches was so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it, but if I moved any lower than that it was just lukewarm.  It appears that there isn't any circulation in the tank itself.

Has anyone else ever tried this?  I always assumed the temp gauge was correct, but didn't think there would be that much difference throughout the tank.
Stihl 041, 290, 170
JD 4300 w/loader
Home built 2 way log splitter
GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
14 ft dump trailer

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: What is the temp in your water jacket?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »

Water flow in the water jacket depends on how the furnace is built. The design of the supply and return lines should be to always keep the water mixing. The way we always did it was pulling the supply off the bottom back and return water went to the top front.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:29:13 PM »

Water flow in the water jacket depends on how the furnace is built. The design of the supply and return lines should be to always keep the water mixing. The way we always did it was pulling the supply off the bottom back and return water went to the top front.

Thats how I set up my waste oil boiler, pul the water off the bottom rear and return it to the top front. Usually the water in the lines from the pumps is within 3-4 degrees of what the Ranco claims the top of the water jacket is at.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »

Ayuh,....    Exactly the opposite of how I built my homemade boiler,...

Cold water return comes in nearer the front, at the bottom, 'n the hot water feeds outa the back top, where the hottest water is,...

I built it with 2 "ins", 'n 2 "outs",....
Seein's I'm only usin' 1 "in", 'n 1 "out", I put the pump in the 2nd circuit, 'n have it runnin' 24/ 7,....
So, 1 pump moves water to, 'n from the house, while the 2nd pump just circulates the 100 gallons within the boiler,....
Temps are very consistent, from top to bottom,...
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.