Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got my stove going last week  (Read 2297 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Got my stove going last week
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

I finally got my new 5000e hooked up last Friday.  So far everything is going pretty good, just trying to get a good coal bed in the stove.  I never had my Hardy hooked up to my DHW but I decided to do it with this stove.  I can't believe how well it heats my water!  I am going to buy a mixing valve since I have a 7 year old and the water coming out of my tap is 145 deg.

So here's my setup:  MF5000e, about 85 ft from my 2000 sq ft house.  85 ft of rehau ran to the house (still have to hook my 1600 sq ft garage up).  I ran 50 ft of 1" pex from where the rehau enters my basement and wrapped it with the reflective bubble wrap insulation.  Pex comes in the house and goes through a 20 plate then continues to a 18x24 HX in my furnace then back out to the stove. 

I still need to backfill my trench all the way where my lines are burried but so far it has been doing ok on wood I guess.  Without hardly any heat load on the stove at all (outside temp 65)  it sat idle for a little over 2:15.  What is the average idle time for you guys?  I would think it would idle for longer than that without a load on the stove?  I have no idea what my temp loss in my underground lines but I would hope it would be very minimal with the reahu and especially since it is such mild weather right now.  I have noticed that it recovers very well though. 

I'm excited for the colder temps so I can really test it out.  Right now I'm basically just heating my water and the house every once in a while. 

Happy Heating!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

dana k

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
Re: Got my stove going last week
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »

Congratulations.   Fired my 5000 up on saturday.  Just to knock chill off and heat hot water.  First time with outdoor wood boiler.  All I can say is the hot water is awesome sure beats what I was getting off the propane water heater.

As far as idle times not for sure haven't watched those.  When it does fire up recovery is quick with the forced draft.

My setip boiler 40 feet from house foam filled 1 inch pex underground to basement. In basement to 30 plate exchanger that goes into a 40 gal. Water heater for dhw.  Then to 20 x 20 hx.  Then back to boiler. Didn't insulate pipes in basement.

Set my temps on boiler 185 off with a 20 differential.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »

Yeah I'm impressed with the hot water.  And as everyone else says, it makes it that much better to know that your water heater isn't running.  My water heater never got my temp up over probably 100.

I might try changing my differential a little bit.  Maybe to 185 with a 15 deg differential to see if that helps with my wood consumption at all then I can change it back once the weather starts to get colder. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

I set my temp to 180 with a 15 degree differential last night.   I only had to throw in one piece of wood this morning.  Basically just heating my hot water but it hardly used any wood last night. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Ched Bull

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »

Airforcepol, I started my 5000 up last week I am 100 feet from house using the same Rahu pipe stove set at 177 with 7 degree diff not using to much wood stove 177 degree hot water out of the faucet 150s getting a mixing valve, point here is I love the pipe, I think besides the stove the pipe was the best investment I could of made dont really know my down time but I will find out and report back.PS as far as I am concerned HEATMASTER is a great stove. 8)   
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »

I agree, I think they build a great stove! I think I will be very happy with it after I get through the learning curve.  Good thing is that I have plenty of wood to burn  :thumbup:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »

:pic:
Husky 372xp 24"