Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: G400 up and running!  (Read 1940 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
G400 up and running!
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »

I replaced my 5000e with a G400 a few weeks ago.  I've had it up and running without any issues at all.  I am very impressed with this boiler and right from the begining I regretted not going with one when I bought my 5000e.  I have never ran a gasification boiler until now, but this furnace is extremely easy to use!  As far as maintenance goes, it's as easy as loading the firebox and pulling a lever on the side of the furnace a few times.  I could tell a HUGE difference in efficiency right from the beginning and I have been able to keep my 2200 sqft house at 72 and 36x45 shop at 70 with no issues at all.  We haven't had much cold weather here yet but the night after I had it going it got down to around 14 deg.   I got around 16 hours on less than a half load of walnut mixed with some junk wood! I am really enjoying not getting a face full of smoke every time I load the furnace also.  The smoke bypass works VERY well on these units.  I have built up a pretty thick coal bed of around 6 inches and so far it hasn't clogged the slot or effected the gasification process at all.  I'll just be waiting around for some cold weather now so I can put it to the test.  It's supposed to be in the 50's during the day for a while  :bash:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: G400 up and running!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »

Unless you lay a split piece directly over the slot with very few coals left I’ve found it impossible to plug it. Been running for about a month now, you’ll also find you get very little ash as well.

Was down to 8 one morning a week or so back with 6-8” of snow, ran my sidewalk as well to melt the snow off, my 400 barely noticed the increase in load. With the old one I had built every time you walked by you could count on throwing in a few more pieces to keep up with the sidewalk and that wasn’t heating the shop as well. Most of last winter if I wanted to melt snow I’d start the waste oil boiler in the shop as the old wood boiler just ate the wood up.

I’ve also found unless you start to cover up the primary air slots there is no such thing as too much of a coal bed.

When the laws were first past a lot of people scrambled to find conventional’s as they were afraid of all the headaches associated with gassers, like having to keep the perfect coal bed as in not too much or too little, needing bone dry wood, plugging the slot up, bridging in the firebox, etc. I’ve only run the G400 but from what I’ve seen the G series makes all those concerns non issues.

I’m going out in the woods once a day and cutting pole trees up, some are still standing and some are down. The ash I cut yesterday was 23%, the wild cherry was 18% (both off the stump) and the tulip poplar was 28%, mix em together and it’s running just fine.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: G400 up and running!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »

Thanks guys, if those two statements don't help us get more G series out in the field and diffuse the inhibitions regarding gassers then I'm not sure what will.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.