Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stack Question?  (Read 5308 times)

brohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Stack Question?
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »

I have heard from other people that you need to run a "tall" stack to get the smoke smell away from your home or it will stink all the time and the smoke will drive you crazy. Do you guys run a taller stack? I want to place my OWB between my home and my garage because I will be heating both and it will cost me a lot less for my lines. I am in a heavily wooded area with quite tall trees around (50' footers) so should I run my stack above my roof line or will I be fine?

wrudoing

Re: Stack Question?t
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »

I run 3 sections 12' but when the air is heavy it doesn't matter, one thing with the taller stack it makes it alot harder to clean mine plugged last Febuary and it's a major pain to get to the top and clean.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Stack Question?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »

Not sure how far your house is from your garage, but put it close to the garage.  It will not cost anymore to put it there than in the middle.  Try it before adding anymore pipe.  I had three feet on mine and added another three feet and that took care of the smoke.

brohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »

My garage is about twenty feet from my house at the nearest corner.....does it still matter than or should I still put it closer to the garage an how close can you go?

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »

My boiler came with 3ft. and I added 3 ft. and it took care of my smoke problem also...
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

wrudoing

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »

You might want to check with your insurance co.  zoning ect... I have 2 of them 1 is 8' off the garage and the other is 5' from the wood storage barn which is to close because on certain days it blows back and smokes me out. Some have them in there building

brohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »

I have checked with my township and the only rule they have is it needs to be 40' off the property line.

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »

It probably depends on what your insurance would tell you, how close to put it to your house. Mine is about 30 ft.  And I think what Jerkash is saying about it being closer to your garage is that it is going to take the same amount of insulated pipe if you are going to put  your furnace between your house and garage so keep it farther away from your house (for smoke reasons) and closer to your garage.

Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

wrudoing

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

The insurance Co. for my business said the only thing they required was the wood be in a building because they had wood pile fires which caused damage. The insurance co at the house didn't care what i did. I took pics and submitted them to both companies detailing what and how it was done before i ever fired them so it was documented. Just in case

brohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »

Makes sense thanks for that info, I will look into that.

jerkash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

What would be your total run of insulated pipe if you did both the house and garage?
If it were only 50 feet or so, I would spend the extra money and put the furnace another 50 feet away from everything. 

brohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

If I did that than I would not be in my townships rule for having it 40 feet from the property line. The only other thing I could do is go on the other side of my house but than it would be pretty far from my garage. Can I go from boiler to my home and them through my home to my garage with my insulated lines or do I have to run from my boiler to my home and from my boiler to my garage? Just seems like I would be using twice as much line if I did it that way.

wrudoing

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

You would need to run 2 lines on 2 pumps. I have 2 exchangers on 1 line but I'm not going from on building to another.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »

Tall stack owner here...So umm why all about insurance dictating where and how far..Put wood under cover.....So you guys pay a high rate for having a OWB or even a wood stove in your house??? Heck I use to put 7 cord of wood in my basement right by the wood stove... Yes i know theres a new reg for setbacks for phase 2 owb's (varies from state to state)..Man I'm not penalized at all by my home owners insurance because i burn wood..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

wrudoing

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:22 PM »

I'm not pentalized they just want a few things done an certain way to minimize possible claims. I bet if your insurance co. knew you were burning and storing wood in the house you would be uninsured. Most people just do it and never ask untill it's to late,  I sold my old house 17 years ago and it had a add on in the basement the new owner called and asked if wanted the burner because his insurance co went thru and told him he was good as long as he didn't light it. I got to go thru it last summer and it's still sitting there just like i left it. 
Pages: [1] 2