Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Interior Lines  (Read 3308 times)

lvdavidson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Interior Lines
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:05:56 AM »

What size lines should be used once I get into the house?  I plan on using 1" lines from the OWB to the house.  From there I want to go to a plate heat exchanger for the water and then to the air exchanger in the heat pump I currently have.  Do I run 1" lines for the inside stuff too?

Also, on the plate exchanger for the hot water.  What size pipe should be used going in and out of the heat exchanger for my domestic hot water.  I 3/4" lines running my hot water out of my hot water tank now.

One more thing, what size plate exchanger would you suggest?  20 plates?  30? More?
Heatmaster 5000E
Southwest Virginia

dirtryder

Re: Interior Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »

I have 1" lines running my full loop from boiler and back. About 90' underground and about the same in the house. It feeds DHW, hot tub tube HX, one air to water HX, then off to another water to air HX in that order. My inside line runs the full length of my rancher from end to end. I have a 10 plate HX for my HW and have 2 showers, 2 dishwashers, and 2 clothes washers tied in. I have never had a problem with having enough hot water, but very rarely is every appliance using it at once. My hot water lines from my hot water tank  are also 3/4" and adapted to the 1" or 1-1/4" ( I forget) ports on the HX.

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »

I ran 1" all the way, 200' loop, full port valves. I've got a 20 plate heat ex. that takes care of 2-1/2 baths. Try not to reduce pipe size, and the fewer restrictions you have the better circulation you will get.   Just my .02

lvdavidson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »

dirtryder

Do you have all of that on 1 1" line coming into the house from the OWB?  If so what kind of pump do you have running that?  Do you ever have problems with the last Air exchanger not having enough heat because it is being drawn of early in the line?

My system would end up being very similar to yours.  I would like to heat the hot water then go to my main floor heat pump.  I was thinking about not hooking up my second floor heat pump for fear that I would not have enough heat on one line.

What size are your Air exchangers?
Heatmaster 5000E
Southwest Virginia

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:35 PM »

If you think you are getting too much restriction on the lines, you can always put 2 tees together and have another loop off the side of the main loop. This would work pretty well for your second floor because the pump on could be turned on with the thermostat and not need to run continuously.
A 10 plate would give you enough hot water unless there is too much head pressure for the pump you use. a 20 plate will have a lot less head pressure so would probably be a better choice.

dirtryder

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »

dirtryder

Do you have all of that on 1 1" line coming into the house from the OWB?  If so what kind of pump do you have running that?  Do you ever have problems with the last Air exchanger not having enough heat because it is being drawn of early in the line?

My system would end up being very similar to yours.  I would like to heat the hot water then go to my main floor heat pump.  I was thinking about not hooking up my second floor heat pump for fear that I would not have enough heat on one line.

What size are your Air exchangers?

Yes, everything is 1" from and back to boiler. I have bell and gossett pumps, one to my pole barn and one to my house. I would suggest getting someone who knows about pumps and pressures and you tell them your length of run, placement of pump, height of pump relative to boiler....all that does make a difference. I was told what I needed by a plumber and it works great. I only have a rancher so only one story. The first air HX is a 19" X 20" 175K btu and the second (last in line) is a 12" X 18" 90K btu. My plentum size dictated the HX sizes. I have never had a heat problem with the heater on the last exchanger. This heater heats an attached in-law suite on the end of my home. It is approximately 800 sqft and the heat is kept at a solid 95 to 98 degree's all winter (no that is not a typo).
I have a dual temp readout at my lines just entering my house and right before exiting my house back to boiler and generally with both heaters running, I see a 30 degree drop in temp, give or take. I have no idea if this is good, bad, too much, not enough.......all I know is I have plenty of heat to keep us warm all winter.
Saved 11K ( using 2008 usages) in propane since install Sept of 09    :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:32:25 AM by dirtryder »