Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finally!!! Got the larger blower motor via UPS yesterday!  (Read 7519 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Finally!!! Got the larger blower motor via UPS yesterday!
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

Ruth Ann from Shaver came through...and she is the book keeper!  Those other boneheads there should take lessons from her on customer service etc.

So it's a bit wet out today, we dodged the bullet with a nasty snow storm, it's all going north of us.  WHEW! 

I had to "special order" a five inch brush for the flue from a fire place shop here.  It came in yesterday as well, but for the fact that the rain is lightly falling, I will have to save that chore for another day, and it ain't getting no warmer up here.  :-(

So sometime today, I will shut the power down on the furnace and pull off the existing motor.  Since the brain at Shaver that did the welding on this furnace couldn't weld the flange on straight NOR get the holes for the blower centered, I will have to "slot" the exiting holes in the new blower motor flange to get that motor to sit straight up and down so that when the damper "does" close down, it closes all the way and does not close and leave a 1/4" gap on the bottom.  The existing motor in tilted to the left.

I do believe this next Spring, I'll have a friend come over with his welder, and see about lopping that flange off and have him weld a new flange on so that I can mount the blower in a horizontal manner, so that when the damper closes...it closes in a more positive manner.

So, "hopefully" my excessive wood burning will be slowing way down after I get this damper on.  Next is to get the Ranco installed and wired.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Finally!!! Got the larger blower motor via UPS yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »

Did they send you any gasket material to go between the fan and the flange?  That's very important, I doubt the two pieces would fit well enough to seal without it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »

Did they send you any gasket material to go between the fan and the flange?  That's very important, I doubt the two pieces would fit well enough to seal without it

Scott....no they did not.  As I type this I'm recalling the fact that I was going to order up a flapper from www.altheating.com last week as it has a rubber gasket on it.  RATS!   :bash:

Okay, any suggestions until I get around to ordering that up?  You ARE correct as well in that the tow surfaces will NOT seal well at all.  and here I was getting excited so I could install that darn thing today.  Well, I've been without since 10/28/11...what's another few days?

As I said..."I'm open ( pun NOT intended) to suggestions.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »

I'm not talking about the flapper sealing.  I'm talking about the base of the fan where it installs onto the stove.  There should be some flat rope-like gasket bout 3/4" wide and 1/8"thick to go where the fan mounts..   
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

I'm not talking about the flapper sealing.  I'm talking about the base of the fan where it installs onto the stove.  There should be some flat rope-like gasket bout 3/4" wide and 1/8"thick to go where the fan mounts..

Oh, no...there is no gasket material there at all, in fact there is none at all even on the existing motor.  The  "only" thing they have is several layers of silicone applied to where the pipe comes out of the firebox itself, but no...no rope gasket between the furnace flange and the blower motor.

So you are saying that I should apply this sort of gasket?  I would assume that it "should" be of the "Fire Rope" variety?
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »

Yea I don't know what you would call it technically.  It looks like rope gasket material but is flat and it provides a seal between the 2 pieces.  I had a customer replace his own fan on a stove and didnt put the gasket back and even though it tightened up and looked ok, it leaked and caused his stove to spike over.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

:post:     
Yea I don't know what you would call it technically.  It looks like rope gasket material but is flat and it provides a seal between the 2 pieces.  I had a customer replace his own fan on a stove and didnt put the gasket back and even though it tightened up and looked ok, it leaked and caused his stove to spike over.

Outstanding suggestion Scott.  I'll refrain from installing the motor until I can get to either Fleet Farm or Menards to get that gasket material.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

Gasket is a good idea. My Natures Comfort 175 didn't have a gasket on it either, so i took fan off and put one on.It makes a differance!! It did have gasket on damper for fan. 

tinner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »

If you can not find the gasket tomorrow just use some high temp rtv sealant. (I like the high temp for everything  :thumbup: ) Even though it is a little below perfect temps for it I would think it would do the job ok.

Otherwise a HVAC parts house should have it in stock as well.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

If you can not find the gasket tomorrow just use some high temp rtv sealant. (I like the high temp for everything  :thumbup: ) Even though it is a little below perfect temps for it I would think it would do the job ok.

Otherwise a HVAC parts house should have it in stock as well.

Tinner...silicone was going to be my next choice since shaver seems to like silicone on all their fittings....let's be hoping for a victory tomorrow in New York eh?

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »

glad to you got the blower  :photo: ill have to do the same with mine that is seal were blower goes
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »

silicone is fine for where the blower mounts to the flange ,,there is no heat there, no special gasket needed.

LUGNUT  i suggest you check this link out and read every post pertaining to the shaver.  it sounds like you need help   http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/81190.htm 

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

Scott,

I ended up going to Menards and buying thee "rope" gasket.  5/8" x 1/8".  I used silicone first and then applied the gasket material.  Let it set up a bit and then poked three holes through it for the bolts...that was fun.   :bash:

I think I'm good back there.Thank you for the great advice.

Luggy  :)
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

silicone is fine for where the blower mounts to the flange ,,there is no heat there, no special gasket needed.

LUGNUT  i suggest you check this link out and read every post pertaining to the shaver.  it sounds like you need help   http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/81190.htm
    :post:

Jim,

I began reading this morning.  Actually I came upon that website by mistake a week or so ago....I learned  a bunch.  By the way, I began all over reading again and I'm presently on page six.  To be continues later this evening.  Thanks for the great tip.

Lugnut  :)
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:30:45 AM »

if i can be of any help,let me know. i was in your position and am still tinkering . my creosote problem is almost non-existence.
Pages: [1] 2