Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Woody and Buzz Lighthead.................  (Read 4117 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Woody and Buzz Lighthead.................
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »

This subject matter/question could go in two areas on this forum, but I chose to place it here  because of the Shaver unit.  The wood I have been putting ion my 250 is from when I cut down 6-7 red oak trees 5 years ago.  This wood was cut in 18-24" lengths and split because AT the time it was just going to be used in my wood burning fireplace in the lower level.

So now I "know" from others telling me this that I should NOT block the chimney in the rear of the unit...another no brainer.  I have been loading the wood and placing it more towards the door and front sides.  Do I dare go further back when piling wood in there?
I do not stack it up to the top...I do leave about 3-4" from the top of the firebox.

Next question, I'm going to be ordering up wood come either early January or mid January.  I think it will be coming in 8' lengths.  Given that this Shaver 250 is 54" deep on the inside, how long should I make the wood when I cut it down to size? 2'? 3'? 4'?   And do I split it or leave it whole?  It will be 2 year seasoned hardwood. 

I'm sure I'll think of another couple questions regarding this as the day goes on, and I will come back and add to this post if that happens.

As usual, I thank you in advance.

Lugnut
aka: jerry

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Ridgekid

Re: Woody and Buzz Lighthead.................
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »

Are you trying to get rich off me? Here's another .02  ;D

1. Don't kill yourself trying to stock a OWF. Cut it to lengths your comfortable with. Most importantly, what the wife might be comfortable with.
2. Depending on the size of the rounds, you might want to split your wood anyway, even if it is seasoned. Why? Hotter burns and less creosote during idles times.

OK, that's it, I'm broke!

powerstroke

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Series 290
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »

Lugnut, I put wood towards the back of my 290 after I put some wood down over the grates.  I kind of let the front edge of the back ones rest on the rear of the ones on the grate.  That way you get plenty of air under the back so it burns nicely.  Seems if you just throw it back there on the pan it won't burn as good as you want.  When it is SUPER cold out I load it pretty heavy and have never worried about the chimney being blocked.  I cut all my wood in 20-24 inch pieces.  Makes it easy to load and stack in the firebox and burns good and hot!
Stihl 310 20" bar

Stihl 391 25" bar

Homelite  14" bar

Shaver Pro Series 290

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:00:41 PM »

i cut mine arround what the splitter will handle. throw in a couple of those huge pieces and you'll get an idea of you like to feed it ,,but don't split them to small.

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

In cold weather I usually load my 290 full, front to back, side to side, up and down. 
I have never had a problem with blocking the chimney simply because it's hard to
stack it tight under the pipe plus it's near the rear of the furnace.
For me, I like to cut my wood about 24". 
Shaver 290
37 Ton Northstar log splitter

Treewinder

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »

Cut it to whatever length your comfortable throwing in. I don't spend much time thinking about how the wife fills the dragon   :)
Ed
Eastern Shore of Va.
Shaver 250
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
CSM-Procut design & Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P
Kobuta B-6100

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »

Are you trying to get rich off me? Here's another .02  ;D

1. Don't kill yourself trying to stock a OWF. Cut it to lengths your comfortable with. Most importantly, what the wife might be comfortable with. 
2. Depending on the size of the rounds, you might want to split your wood anyway, even if it is seasoned. Why? Hotter burns and less creosote during idles times.

OK, that's it, I'm broke!

Finally I found your post....I wanted to comment on this when you first typed it...I got a good laugh out of your comment, " Don't kill yourself trying to stock a OWF.  Cut it to lengths your comfortable with.  Most importantly,  what the wife might be comfortable with."  LOL!  She's comfortable with me going out in the cold and the snow to load the darn thing up.  However I did instruct her of the operations of the OWB just in case I happen to be gone.

When I get some more knowledge regarding these OWBs...I'll pay your way forward.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Ridgekid

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

That works for me! (Paying it forward!)

Great wife's think alike. I keep telling mine it's "her turn" and she reminds me it's my job to take care of it when I'm home. I wonder how she would feel when she ran out of hot water.  >:D   I don't think I want to find out!  :bash:

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »

That works for me! (Paying it forward!)

Great wife's think alike. I keep telling mine it's "her turn" and she reminds me it's my job to take care of it when I'm home. I wonder how she would feel when she ran out of hot water.  >:D   I don't think I want to find out!  :bash:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!  Thanks for the great laugh before I check off of this computer.  My wife informed me this morning that"there was very little hot water for my shower."  I told her that i was up and out at the OWB at 0530 filling the darn thing with wood as it had all burned from the night before...sheesh, no gratitude...just complaining.  Wheres my favorite smiley?   :bash:

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »

Last night was our coldest night (16*) and I thought I would get up early, turn up the heat,  and have the coffee pot ready for the wife before she went to work. I got "what the h*** are you doing up" There's gratitude for ya!

I was happy to learn there was plenty of wood left over form the overnight burn, but i threw a few more pieces on it and went back to bed.  :thumbup: