Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hooking up DHW  (Read 3883 times)

tpm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Hooking up DHW
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »

Guys I am confused does the hot water line attach to the T on top with the popoff valve or at the bottom of hwh where the drain is. The manual that I got with furnance shows pic of blue (cold) water coming in at top to T with popoff valve and red line (hot) at bottom  where drain is while pics that Shaver has on website is just the opposite. Both of my pex lines are red so if they were hooked up backwards could that be causing me to run out of DHW ? When the pump is running the line at the bottom where drain is seems to be hotter than the line at top of HWH where the pump is attached. Thanks

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Hooking up DHW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »

Since you are pumping it, I don't think it will really make a huge difference which way you pump it.
If you have good flow then the coil in the boiler just isn't making enough heat or the pump is not moving fast enough.
How much of the time does the pump run? If you don't already a mixing valve, you might have to intall one ant turn the tstat that controls the pump up. If it just runs a little now and then, the water might only be hot at the very top of the tank.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »

tpm what way is the pump pushing the water..if your pump is on top  and you are pushing water to the OWB then you are letting the domestic cold water mix with the domestic hot water in the domestic tank when you call for water in the home  at the drain where they are hooked together (somewhat defeating the purposse of the whole idea)  if your pump on top is pushing water into the domestic tank then you are actually sucking the cold water from the home as it trys to enter the domestic tank from the bottom in to the line going to your OWB and only allowing hot water to enter in the top of the tank.
it wont matter if your pump is at the top of yoru domestic tank or the bottom as long as the flow of your domestic cold water is going to the OWB from the bottom of your tank (or i should say the same spot as your cold from the domestic feed )

i hope you can understand what i am trying to explain, even when i read it, it is confusing..LOL
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

tpm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »

Willie the pump is pumping away from hot water tank back to furnance it seems to be cooler than the line hooked to drain when the pump is running is that the right way?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

;)
Willie the pump is pumping away from hot water tank back to furnance it seems to be cooler than the line hooked to drain when the pump is running is that the right way?
if yoru pump is on the top of the tank and puming away from teh hot water tank then no i would say it is wrong think of it this way you are sucking water from the domestid tank so when you introduce water from the  house system it is enter the domestic tank and cooling this water, now this water has to be pumped out the top of the tank (where you are drawing your house water) so you get cool water. the boiler is sending back hot water to the bottom of the tank so the line feels hot but as it goes into the tank it is mixing right there with the cold entering the tank from the house supply

now lest look at the other way, if your pump is still on top and pushing water into the tank...your home calls for hot water and the domestic feed now sends cold in the bottom...your pump is actually sucking the cold from the home supply and sending it directly to the OWB coil (no cold water is entering your tank unless yoru pump on the OWB coil is pumping less gpm than the home is sending and i doubt that) so the cold from your domestic is going directly (or at least mostly) to your OWB... if this is the case your bottom line should becold to warm and yoru line at the top should be very hot (this is what you want as your home is using the water from the top of the tank)

clear as mud now?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

tpm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »

Willie if I switch the lines at the coil will that fix my problem ?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »

if you are pumping away from the top of the tank, no matter what you do with the lines you will still be pumping from teh top of the tank....the easiest fix i see is to just turn the pump around so it is pumping in the opposite direction instead of pumping away from teh top of the tank and pushing hot and cold water in the bottom (hot from the OWB and cold from the house supply) yo would be pushing hot water from the OWB into the tank and sucking the house delivery water into the coil going to the OWB
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

tpm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »

Thanks Willie I will try turning pump around it will then be pumping toward the hotwater tank I will let you know he outcome. Thanks again.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »

good luck.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada