Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: End of season  (Read 3959 times)

froggy22

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
End of season
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

I have the 165,  with hot water, and heat exchanger in air duct.

What I'm wondering is what does everyone do to shut down for the warm seasons.

Clean out all ashes, re-do seals on doors, drain WHAT??? thanks I really enjoyed my low heat bills last winter and want to do all maintenance to make it last. 

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: End of season
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

This is what I do with mine, the difference between our boilers is mine is stainless water jacket and firebox. Take and send in water sample about a month before shutdown. Turn off power to the pump and blower. Clean out all ashes and loose creosolt flakes. Throw a 5 galllon bucket over the stack and say, thankyou and see you in 3 months old friend!   

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »

after you clean it out coat the inside of the firebox with used motor oil, I don't drain mine.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »

I was informed that used motor oil is not good to use. I had just read that is what someone used and passed it on but I am told that it is not good to use.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

shorman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:48:44 AM »

I'm considering a different approach this year.I have a Shaver 250 and had a real good heating season.Since the fire box is round,I may put a wire brush in an old electric drill and fasten it to a piece of plastic pipe so it will easily reach the back of the box and wire brush everything in sight.Step 2 will be to vacuum the fire box with an old shop Vacuum I keep for dirty jobs.Step3 will be to spray the fire box with WD-40.You may know,WD stands for water displacement and moisture makes rust.I buy it by the gallon for about $16 or $18.
                As for the chimney,it is 5" diameter and insulated and screws together.If I can get the rain deflector off the top of it,I'll buy a 5" wire brush and brush it down as far as possible..My stove sits under the roof of my 25'x100' open sided wood shed.I'm doubtful my old 8" wire brush will squish down enough to fit inside the 5" pipe.
                  If none of the above works,I have no" plan B" yet but one way or another it shall be done.----------------------Shorman

froggy22

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:00:18 AM »

I'm wondering if I should drain the lines to exchanger, or drain the whole system reapply water treatment and periodically circulate the water? 

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »

when i shut mine down i clean it out as best as possible and put a can over the chimney to keep rain out and that's it.  if it makes you feel good by spraying oil or what ever in it, then do it.