Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: replacing the caulk on the door shaver165  (Read 11344 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Re: replacing the caulk on the door shaver165
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »

I think a lot of this shows the importance of choosing a good dealer.   That's for those who didn't buy direct of course. 

If ur chimney is clogged that could happen, but from what I've seen when that happens the stove won't come up to temp like it should and the fan kinda blows back out because it can't go in.  Hoping you get it all worked out.  I'd check to see if the door is starting to warp too, heard several stories of warped doors not fitting on shavers

Scott...this is true in anything and everything one purchases.  Here's how I went about doing what I did.  I spent about one year researching and pricing OWBs and looking for the companies that were nearest to me OR that had reasonable shipping rates.  I was also on a fixed budget and I knew what I could afford.  Well first manufacture store that came out to visit me was from down the road about 1`5 miles....good..he's close.  Well he sells Central Boiler.  I inquired how much for installation and a furnace that would take care of my 3700 sq. ft. house and 1000 sq.ft. shop..."almost" $20k!!!  I told him, I would have to live in my house for over 50 years to recoup my money.  Now I'm 64 years old...you guys do the math!

Then there was another shop somewhat local and they came out.  i don't recall the name of the unit, but their total cost was $15k.  So after hearing this, I thought I b est look around and also better see about doing most of the installation my self or find a shop that will install but not rake me over the coals.

I ended up going with Shaver because of the "simplicity" of their OWB.  No gimmicks no digital and should anything have to be replaced, I could get it at Fleet Farm or Menard's or Grainger for that matter.  I checked into shipping and it was not too bad.  And the price of the unit was very reasonable.  I initially purchased a Shaver 165 and I will NOT going into detail, but will say this...I gave them a choice to either come pick the trash up and send me my money back, of build a brand new furnace, something that they would put in THEIR own living room and that the wife would display her fine china in.  I also up graded to the 250 while I was at it.  I got the new 250 and it is really nice......and then I notice that the owner's manual does not really explain lots of things...if it did, I wouldn't be on the website asking all these questions. 

The fellow I talked to about the Shaver resides about 25 miles from me, and I've emailed him on occasion but he doesn't seem to know much about anything other than, put the wood in and let'er rip.  At least this is what I have gathered.  I was in contact for a while with a Jimmy Reese at Shaver, but he is no longer with the company, which is too bad because he WAS very personable and would respond to my questions either the same day or the next for sure.  Now I send an email and the new guy , well......let's just say, I miss Jimmy.

The company that I somehow MISSED in my researching of OWFs was Royal American and they are located about 35 miles from me...I'm in Greenleaf, WI. and they are located in Plymouth, WI.  I did go to them and purchase my water-to-air exchanger along with the brazed plate exchanger.  ...even asked if they took trade-ins.    So this is the gist of my dealing with Shaver.....

Chimney was a bit loaded with Creosote, and I cleaned it out this afternoon.  I've read about the doors warping on these furnaces, I'll take a closer look at that this weekend.  Wanted to get the furnace up and running again because it's going down to 28 tonight and the wife isn't home yet and I KNOW she'll be wanting to shower and there better be hot water for her....

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »

Not downing your decision, I just was saying for the average customer it's reasons and things like this that make having a good local dealer important. 

20k? 15k?  This are crazy high numbers!  Some people must try to make 10k on a job lol

In regards to the simplicity of the unit, brands like natures comfort or heatmaster aren't more complicated.  I like you hate unnecessary gadgets.

I've never heard much good about Royal Americans either.  Haven't had any personal experience with them.  Didn't they go out of business and someone buy up there inventory?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »

Scott,

I'm not aware of them going out of business unless it was just recently.  When I bought my exchangers this last year, and I do believe it was in March or April, the place in Plymouth was still selling them.  Neighbor of mine has a Royal American, though he has not told me why he bought it or if he has had good luck.

Like I stated in my of my earlier posts, now of these furnaces is perfect, they all have their issues or the dealers have issues. 

Yep, I swear those were the numbers for installation of the furnace.  They asked me if I was going to trench?  I told them no, that's what I'm paying you to do.  The furnace would have been setting exactly where the present one is...115' from the rear of my house and the shop is but a mere 75' from the furnace.  There are unscrupulous dealers out amongst us as well....all out to take you for the almighty buck AND if someone is so naive that they can't see that they are being taken, well then, by all means take them.  but I VALUE honest dealers and installers...but even those folks are far and few between anymore.

And yes, I AGREE with your assessment on having a GOOD local dealer.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »

I just completed an install, it was 185 ft to one house and 175 to another, both with domestic water heating and furnace.  They purchased a 5000e heatmaster, I did the entire install digging and all, there total bill was under 11,500. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

well there ya go...IF you had your shop in North East Wisconsin, I may have rang you up.   :)  But I went with whom I thought would give me the best quality for the least amount of money.  Now, if any of my friends inquire as to who makes the best OWB, I know one company that I will not recommend.  Actually I will tell them to do their own research and that they might want to access this forum and ask MANY questions before going with any one chosen company.

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Marsh85

• View Profile
2nd winter using shaver 165 ?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 01:47:47 AM »

Just fired it up last week (temps been higher than usual) and stove has been leaking water.  Looks like it is coming from above door but need a way to test it any ideas?  Also, does anyone else have trouble with evaporation from the water holding take?   My rope around the door burned out last year is the rope just a standard stove rope from lowes.

Thanks for time,
Mj

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 06:05:21 AM »

Welcome to the site Marsh, yes the rope from lowes will work fine. If your door seal is bad that may be causing your stove to over heat and boil over or steem up loosing water and look like a leak.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"
Pages: 1 [2]