Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: System Design Help  (Read 3252 times)

Hickory

• View Profile
System Design Help
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »

First of all, this is a great site with lots of good information. My hats off to whoever started it.........................

Anyway, I just took the plunge and purchased a CB6048 to heat a 4400sqft home in Missouri. I plan on attempting the install myself (with the help from a few buddies). I'm in the design stage of the system and would entertain any suggestions you might have.

Here are the components that I have to deal with:
3 forced air furnaces to add heat exchangers to:
        1 large furnace on the main floor
        1 small furnace on the main floor addition
        1 small furnace in the basement
1 Side arm exchanger on the Water Heater (Basement)
The Unit will be placed 35' from the home and 1' ThermoPEX will be used between the unit and the home.

Here is what I'm thinking about trying. Will it work????????
I am considering using a manifold to distribute the water to the 3 furnace heat exchangers. I will put the basement furnace and the Side Arm exchanger on a loop together off the manifold. I will also put the 2 furnace heat exchangers on the main floor in series and run them on the second loop at the manifold with a second pump.
Some questions that I have:
Will 2 heat exchangers in series work??
Will the difference in head pressure between the basment and the main floor cause me problems?

Thanks for any advice you might have...........................

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: System Design Help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »

First of all, this is a great site with lots of good information. My hats off to whoever started it.........................

Anyway, I just took the plunge and purchased a CB6048 to heat a 4400sqft home in Missouri. I plan on attempting the install myself (with the help from a few buddies). I'm in the design stage of the system and would entertain any suggestions you might have.

Here are the components that I have to deal with:
3 forced air furnaces to add heat exchangers to:
        1 large furnace on the main floor
        1 small furnace on the main floor addition
        1 small furnace in the basement
1 Side arm exchanger on the Water Heater (Basement)
The Unit will be placed 35' from the home and 1' ThermoPEX will be used between the unit and the home.

Here is what I'm thinking about trying. Will it work????????
I am considering using a manifold to distribute the water to the 3 furnace heat exchangers. I will put the basement furnace and the Side Arm exchanger on a loop together off the manifold. I will also put the 2 furnace heat exchangers on the main floor in series and run them on the second loop at the manifold with a second pump.
Some questions that I have:
Will 2 heat exchangers in series work??
Will the difference in head pressure between the basment and the main floor cause me problems?

Thanks for any advice you might have...........................
hickory first let me say i am not a plumbing or heat expert and i think you should maybe post this question in aheating and plumbing forum for scientific answers..haveing said that here is my suggestion from some small experience i have had

yoru thoughts on a manifold are (in my opinion) right on the money..i would however keep every item seperated from the other.(on their own line)  and each one vlaved at the feed and return header..this will allow you to take any one item off stream for maintenance or service of any kind if needed without  disturbing any other fixture

also (not recomended by me personally) you may if needed use the vavle to control the flow to a fixture

the one area i am unsure of what you plan is a pump and if i were doing this install and was saving money by doing it yourself..i would upsize the feed line from the stove
the one thing you don't wnat while trying to run 3 furnaces is starved for water

a heating and plumbing forum will be able to tell you the "likley gpm needed at the temp you can supply for the BTU per hour you will need" this would lead you to better understand the size of pipe and pump you would require.
just my inital thoughts to your post..welcome..enjoy and please post reports (and photos) of your install..we are all interested
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada