Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New 165  (Read 3883 times)

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
New 165
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »

Just got our new 165 installed and working near the end of October and couldn't be more pleased.  16 plus hour overnight burns and the house and DHW warmer than ever.  Uses less wood than the Wilkening home heater that we used for 25 years and saved over 40.00 on the first electric bill!

Never heard of Shaver till last summer when I bought this one new from a private party that went in another direction (geothermal).    Heatmore and Central are manufactured in this neck of the woods so know plenty of folks with those units...the comparisons are very interesting.

Did the complete purchase and self install for less than $4500.00   The rugged simplicity of this unit is appealing and I'm not sure what these "necessary" upgrades that folks have posted about will do for me?
the smoke don't mean its broke

Ridgekid

Re: New 165
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »

Owning a Central Boiler Classic I had to comment on your signature!  :thumbup:

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »

Happy burning! Nice to save on electric bill isn't it.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »

Just got our new 165 installed and working near the end of October and couldn't be more pleased.  16 plus hour overnight burns and the house and DHW warmer than ever.  Uses less wood than the Wilkening home heater that we used for 25 years and saved over 40.00 on the first electric bill!

Never heard of Shaver till last summer when I bought this one new from a private party that went in another direction (geothermal).    Heatmore and Central are manufactured in this neck of the woods so know plenty of folks with those units...the comparisons are very interesting.

Did the complete purchase and self install for less than $4500.00   The rugged simplicity of this unit is appealing and I'm not sure what these "necessary" upgrades that folks have posted about will do for me?

Swede, first welcome to the site once again.  Trust me when I say this...the "modifications  most of the guys on this site made to their Shaver is actually a Godsend.  Sounds like you lucked out and did not have to deal directly wit.h Shaver...you truly ARE a lucky soul.  I as well as many others had to deal with Shaver directly and one wonders often, well I do, how in the hell that company stays in business.  Read ALL you can hear on the Shaver thread...you WILL learn many things.  That 165 can be improved upon and prolly at the cost of a case of beer...or root beer whatever your choice.

I'm trying to figure out though how you are getting 16hr burns...do you have a small house?  I mean a "really" small house? 

The necessary upgrades will GREATLY improve that 165 Shaver.......like I said, read and learn you will be glad that you did.

Lugnut

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

swede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »

3000 sq ft. home.  Add wood at dark in the evening @4 or 4:30 and don't get to it till 10 or 11 the next morning.  Sometimes its a bit down on water temp sometimes not.  Few sticks to get through the day then add at dark again.  It would seem that efficiencies with these units are affected by many variables.     

I was looking for a used boiler of any make....maybe even a repairable but found a new shaver on craigslist for less than what  the used refurb models go for.   Never even heard of shaver till I called on the add.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »

Swede...where do you reside?
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »

Pine River, MN

Oh another Minnesota feller....now where is that area located in conjunction with Minneapolis?  I've only been to a few areas in Minnesota...had a girl friend in Mankato, spent some Junes up in St. Paul for "Back To The Fifties."  Used to have a girl friend in Fridley, Mn.

Lugnut
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:53:56 PM by lugnut »
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

swede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »

I'm well north of the Twin Cities between Brainerd and Bemidji.....plenty of cold here in the northern 1/3 of the state to put this stove to the test.