Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Spring cleaning  (Read 3509 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Spring cleaning
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »

Since this site seems like a ghost town lately I thought I would throw out a question.

Has anyone found an easy or efficient way to remove accumulated creosote from the G series gasser's? I removed all the panels today with the help of my grandson, later than normal due to ankle surgery which still has a cast on my leg. Plenty of creosote behind the panels and at the floor in the front and back.

Share your secrets!
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:20:14 AM »

Prevention- I've found keeping the drain holes on the panels clear of ash to really help, plus letting it burn down to a hot coal bed to melt it out.
Richard gave me the idea of a piece of high tensile fence wire fed through a section of pipe. Bend a crook on the end and attach to a drill. Can be flexed into tight places to grind creosote to powder.
I wonder what a really short piece would do on a drill as a grinder/ pulverizing tool? Also I've thought of using a weed burner propane torch.
 Honestly in the 5+ years I've burned G models I've never cleaned one thoroughly, just cleaned enough to get air through.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »

Ditto, keeps the bottom of the panels clear of ash and most creosote will run out. I also save the driest wood I have for the last 2-4 weeks of use so you’ll get heat and minimal moisture so as not to add any more creosote than required.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »

I have a tool I made to keep the openings clear under the side panels but the creosote really built up behind the panels. I also make sure the ash does not build up under the side rails.

Guess I'll just have to keep cleaning it.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 02:23:00 AM »

You may have airflow getting choked elsewhere if it has an unusual amount of buildup. Two places I'd check- the airbox in the front (intake behind the damper disc) , and the square outlet of the fan. I've seen both get clogged and affect the burn quite a bit.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »

Spent all day today doing the final cleaning. Really makes me want to install that GEO system I have sitting in my shed and sell my wood equipment.

E Yoder the only area of the unit that wasn't dirty was the air intake damper in to the primary combustion area. I guess I could have taken some pictures before I started cleaning but I'm betting my unit was not out of the norm going through 13 cords this season(and I clean it every year like this). Same goes for the exhaust venter area in back, ash was built up a lot. It also reaffirmed to me the importance of keeping a rain cap on my unit. I keep mine pretty high (it's a home made cap) in cold weather and keep it lower when rain is possible. The rain will come down the chimney drain through the venter and absorb into the ash under the venter which would be corrosive. I know it's 409 stainless but not impervious to corrosion. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure-or something like that. I ended up having to clean my shop vac filter 3 times this year. I put the bottom refractory back in as well as all the panels and we're ready for next year.

I also got my water sample results back and all is good.         
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 04:39:50 AM »

Hmm... That's an interesting thought on the rain. I never used a cap while burning, assuming the 180° temps would evaporate any moisture quickly. ? I dunno.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 11:29:28 PM »

Yoder when I had my first Gasser, the G400, it was really bad(8" stove pipe). We had a lot of rain and the rear seal for the venter plate didn't seal well and I had creosote streaks covering the back of the unit and puddles of creosote at the bottom in the back.

This year the ash on the top in the back (by the venter ass.) was light and powdery but the ash on the floor had to be gently scraped off, like it got wet then baked on.

I'll keep using my rain cap adjusting the height for the time of the heating season.   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »

This year the ash on the top in the back (by the venter ass.) was light and powdery but the ash on the floor had to be gently scraped off, like it got wet then baked on.

I have the same in my G200 every year, I think its from first starting it and going thru a sweat to get above 140, creosote forms in the venter area floor then gets baked on thru the winter.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana