Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie here-long time lurker  (Read 1753 times)

crankshaftdan II

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400CSS
    • View Profile
Newbie here-long time lurker
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

Don't know if this is the correct procedure for a introduction--older retired fart here looking to purchase a used(pressure tested) OWB later this winter/early spring.  Figured I would start by asking a few questions about how to go about a complete re-furbishment on a older unit?   Has any other member here done this?  I'm thinking that one should disassemble/inspect all the parts and replace as necessary?  From reading many previous posts-a heat assesment of the home and other structures would be in order prior to getting parts or even a quote from a plumber/contractor to install same.  This is planed :-\ on my part for the forth comming summer time as well as wood gathering and stock pileing.  Aforementioned OWB will be a large Woodmor (5-10K) BTU unit of the standard non-gasser type-unknown model # at this point and unknown age.   Not trying to throw wet wood in the conversation(Firebox), just would like some informative, constructive vibes/critisimem-good bad or otherwise.  Trying to keep this project to a mininum cost factor without breaking the bank.  Any comments appreciated

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here-long time lurker
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »

Welcome to the site! I would find more info on the owb before I bought out.   I would also not pay much for a used unit.  Depending on the age, condition, model I wouldn't go over $2,000.  How much area are you planning on heating?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »

Buying a used unit even if tested by pressure is very risky business

U can destroy a stove in 3 - 5 years if proper Chem levels are not kept in check

I'd hate to buy a non warrantied stove and have 3000 or more in it to find out the water jacket was corroded Down to 1/16 inch thick and then start leak in

With some stoves out there, ridgewood for example, they have new well built stoves with 10 year warranties for under 4000
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »

With some stoves out there, ridgewood for example, they have new well built stoves with 10 year warranties for under 4000
[/quote]

This^^^ I have heard nothing but good things about ridgewood stoves and they are about half the price of most comparable stoves on the market.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »

I bought a used Pacific Western, company has been out of business for years. I replaced the fan, aquastat, solenoid, and 2 new pumps. I bought it not knowing if it leaked or not, figured I could fix it if it did. I was lucky or at least so far anyway and no leaks. I've been reading about owb burners for years and had planned to build my own but this deal came along so I bought it. Mine is working good and I'm real happy with the money I have in it so far. Spend your money on good pipe, I used Logstor for one of my runs and a homemade one for a short 35' run. I heat 2 houses with mine, I installed the whole system myself including building the tinwork for the exchangers. Installed a plate and a tube heater for domestic hot water. I never did any figuring out on heat load, I just bought what I thought would work and it does. Next year I will have my shop heated for the complete winter and hopefully actually do something out there.
 You might want to put your location on in case someone is local to you and you can see their system.