Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Alternate Fan Power Solution For Outdoor Furnace?  (Read 3326 times)

marsofold

• OWF Brand: None
  • OWF Model: None
    • View Profile
Alternate Fan Power Solution For Outdoor Furnace?
« on: November 28, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »

Want to get a HyProTherm forced air wood furnace. Problem is, the power to my house in rural WV is extremely unreliable (two 8 hour outages in one week lately). Furnace needs 675 watts to run the fans. Vendor says to run a generator during outages. Prefer not to go there. I have limited solar that can't be trusted in winter, so I'm looking for an alternate power solution to run the fans. Thinking outside the box, I saw a you-tune video where a guy used a small 12 volt pump to feed water into a heated copper coil to make a rather impressive steam cleaner. 6" piddly water flow until he heated the coil with propane, then a continuous 5 foot gusting steam output! Thought that the same setup heated with wood might be able to use the steam flow to power an air drill cranking an alternator for power. Other than corrosion issues that I see as fixable, might this be a safe easy way to run the furnace fans?

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Alternate Fan Power Solution For Outdoor Furnace?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:10:29 PM »

The Harbor Freight copy of the Honda inverter generators is pretty good.  You can get the 2000 watt inverter generator on sale for usually $450, but full price is only $500.  It will outlast your 8 hour power outage and run your entire boiler at the same time.  It takes no special engineering, time, or oddball power sources.  Put it down, turn it on, plug in the boiler, back in business. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical/gasoline-generators/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html