Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: She's tucked in for the summer  (Read 2664 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
She's tucked in for the summer
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »

Well, I spent about 5 hours this morning shutdown and cleaning my CB Edge 550 HD Titanium for the summer.  She wasn't too bad with regards to creosote build up, I expected worse.  I had a run of bad wood that I needed to get through before having access to the quality stuff.  I spent more time cleaning the air channels that I cared to do but it still was faster cleaning them on the 550 than it was on my E-Classic 1400.  I'll need to replace a couple items before next heating season though, a rope gasket that goes around the fusion chamber and one of the air channels panels, it's the one below the fire door.  For some she was all warped and the holes won't line up.  I'll save my pennies through the summer to the new one.  It'll take me a couple of days to get used to not going outside twice a day to put in her.  But I have a feeling by the time Friday gets here I will be used to not going outdoors.  This is by far the longest I've gone into the spring with it heating my house and DHW.  I think I shut her down last year in early April.  I think I put fire in it in early to mid Oct.  If calculations are right I think I went through almost 6 cord of wood.  There are 2 factors for not burning to much wood; 1st - mild winter. I think we had 1 or 2 nights of sub zero temps.  2nd - I've put a lot of insulation in the walls and ceiling over the years.  That makes a difference in comfort. 

Have a great summer everyone!  Stay safe!

Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: She's tucked in for the summer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:23:08 AM »

Have a great summer Roger!
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »

I've shut down once or twice first time due to running out of wood.Second time was due to mother nature fooling with the climate. I just thought I was done.  Hoping this weekend will the charm. It's not been a seriously cold winter but it seems to have dragged on for longer than usual.  I have to replace a door gasket along with a major cleaning inside and out.

Wt

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 02:20:50 AM »

I can't believe it, I'm heating again tonight. It's a very wet sort of cold. We've had several inches the last day or so, with more all week.
 Gives me the chills, and I've got to install a stove in the rain today.   Brr. :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Walleye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 06:40:36 AM »

About a week ago I turned the heat side off, just heating hot water until I get ready to shut down. Had to turn the heat back on this morning also. Cold damp rain here. I wonder if summer is ever going to get here?