Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gassification vs. Non Gassification  (Read 15618 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Gassification vs. Non Gassification
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

Matty,
   The article was from one of EPA's Burn Wise sites. It outlined what is happening in a couple of the eastern states right now(I don't remember which ones), as well as Washington and Oregon(?) and explained the efforts they are putting forth to eventually include every state. They have hundreds of pages to sift through, and if you have the time, you can find it. It was marked on the hearth forum, so I clicked on it and read through it. I did not bookmark it, but If I run across it again, I'll pm it to you.
   Rest assured that events like the one I mentioned are happening on a small scale right now, and it will get worse. Two things are precipitating these events and they both begin with the letter M- Money and Monopoly. Scott7m lightly touched on these issues a while back.
   If you get a chance, contact the DEQ in your state about this issue.
   Sorry for the hijack, chadley.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:00:42 PM by martyinmi »
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »

[[/quote] My state is a EPA phase 2 state only as a couple of yrs ago.. The OWB is grandfathered..Weather I own the house or not..Perfectly legal..It was bought before the EPA law..Dont see how a mortgage or a insurance company can do anything about it..Maybe its different in Canada..
[/quote]
so far there is no law here about outlawing the non gassers and my insurance company has nothing to say about them except that it mast be a certain distance from the residence (i believe it is 60 feet) and that the shed i put mine in (yes it is a home made OWB in a shed) is not covered by my policy but i could buy a rider on it ( i did not)
as for your epa grandfathering the boiler, well it may well never change but in ontario here if you have one insurance company they are all the same and in a 'silent partnership with each other)" if you go to another insurance quote the first thing they ask you is who are you currently insured with (now they will check you out) then they will ask you why you want to switch (they dont really care they just want to see if you tell them a lie (or forget to mention something they will get from your insurance company when they check you out)

i talked to one insurance guy who said that no insurance  company can now tell you they wont sell you insurance but they will make your premium so high you cant afford them. ontario is the worst place to try and get insurance.  i wish you well with selling yoru home and OWB if you ever choose to do so but remember insurance is big business and big business changes the rules when ever they like  im not  sure about the USA but when the war started income tax here in Canada was only temporary to support the war effort! HA
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »

[
My state is a EPA phase 2 state only as a couple of yrs ago.. The OWB is grandfathered..Weather I own the house or not..Perfectly legal..It was bought before the EPA law..Dont see how a mortgage or a insurance company can do anything about it..Maybe its different in Canada..
[/quote]
so far there is no law here about outlawing the non gassers and my insurance company has nothing to say about them except that it mast be a certain distance from the residence (i believe it is 60 feet) and that the shed i put mine in (yes it is a home made OWB in a shed) is not covered by my policy but i could buy a rider on it ( i did not)
as for your epa grandfathering the boiler, well it may well never change but in ontario here if you have one insurance company they are all the same and in a 'silent partnership with each other)" if you go to another insurance quote the first thing they ask you is who are you currently insured with (now they will check you out) then they will ask you why you want to switch (they dont really care they just want to see if you tell them a lie (or forget to mention something they will get from your insurance company when they check you out)

i talked to one insurance guy who said that no insurance  company can now tell you they wont sell you insurance but they will make your premium so high you cant afford them. ontario is the worst place to try and get insurance.  i wish you well with selling yoru home and OWB if you ever choose to do so but remember insurance is big business and big business changes the rules when ever they like  im not  sure about the USA but when the war started income tax here in Canada was only temporary to support the war effort! HA
[/quote] I don't plan on selling my house..I was just using it as a example..But your never know lol..Yeah your right insurance companies is big business..Biggest fraud companies out there lol..Huh no kidding, temp. Income tax..Least it was only temp..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Ridgekid

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »

Is it groundhog day?  I feel I'm reading the same thing over and over!  Maybe you guys should try the reply button instead of the quote button?   :bag:

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »

perhaps :) and it is only about a month away
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

Hey matty,
   If you get a chance, google this:  DEQ AIR QUALITY DIVISION HEAT SMART
This isn't the one I was referring to, but it shows what's coming!
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »

Do you folks seriously not see the govt is out to control every aspect of our lives???   There is more to marty's claims than he's mentioning, there is also such proposed legislation that would block the sell of any property which isn't up to code. Like if the govt says your walls have to be r19, and there not then you can't sell it.  If they say you have to have a 18 seer ac and you don't have one or want one,  well your gonna pay through the teeth.... 

This country is hell bent on giving up every liberty that our revolution was fought for.  It won't be long until you won't recognize this as the country where you grew up.  We have a constitution and a bill of rights that instead of being protected, is attacked and dismantled every day.   Without our constitution we aren nothing, definetly not America. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mgw44

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

I would choose gassification for a few reasons:
1. less smoke
2. less wood
3. less work
4. I am more proud showing off the system as I know it is polluting less than most indoor wood heat products and all conventional boilers that I can smell driving to work each day.

If I had to do it over I would choose gassification again.

mgw44

Ridgekid

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »

NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT but 3# is not accurate.

It takes more work to operate a gasifier than it takes to operate a non gasser. Otherwise I agree with your points.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »

Hey matty,
   If you get a chance, google this:  DEQ AIR QUALITY DIVISION HEAT SMART
This isn't the one I was referring to, but it shows what's coming!
Thanks for the link!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

petemoss

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shopbuilt
  • OWF Model: # 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:29 AM »

It takes more work to operate a gasifier than it takes to operate a non gasser. Otherwise I agree with your points.

If cutting less wood to run my gasser is more work ! what was i thinking.     :bash:
009 stihl
024 stihl
029 stihl
029 super
6401 makita
new holland L783 skidsteer
1086 ih tractor
706 ih tractor
west central mo. lots of hedge

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 05:02:01 AM »

Do you folks seriously not see the govt is out to control every aspect of our lives???   There is more to marty's claims than he's mentioning, there is also such proposed legislation that would block the sell of any property which isn't up to code. Like if the govt says your walls have to be r19, and there not then you can't sell it.  If they say you have to have a 18 seer ac and you don't have one or want one,  well your gonna pay through the teeth.... 

This country is hell bent on giving up every liberty that our revolution was fought for.  It won't be long until you won't recognize this as the country where you grew up.  We have a constitution and a bill of rights that instead of being protected, is attacked and dismantled every day.   Without our constitution we aren nothing, definetly not America.
I don't recognize it now.
installed in 2014

petemoss

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shopbuilt
  • OWF Model: # 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 05:33:25 AM »

im not  sure about the USA but when the war started income tax here in Canada was only temporary to support the war effort! HA   

I know the feeling !
009 stihl
024 stihl
029 stihl
029 super
6401 makita
new holland L783 skidsteer
1086 ih tractor
706 ih tractor
west central mo. lots of hedge

dirtryder

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »

if cutting less wood to run my gasser is more work ! what was i thinking.     :bash:

Well, I agree with Ridge. For what you may save in cutting you surely out work me to "prep" your wood to a certain size or shape, so it doesn't "bridge" in your boiler. And the uglies, knots, clumps that you either cut into little pieces or don't use at all, my boiler loves and burns for days on. Then add to that brushing the HX tubes regularly, cleaning out ash more often to insure that no air holes are plugged up......Don't get me wrong, Gassers are more efficient, smoke less and do use less wood...BUT less "work" they are not. ;)
BTW, I had a gasser which did work well but was too small for my application, so I've been there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:16:18 AM by dirtryder »

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

Can you explain the "prep" work that needs to be done on the wood that you are referring to?  Are the fireboxes smaller on gassers?  What do you mean when you say "bridge"?

I'm looking at people who say they burn 6-7 cords per year and think to myself that is probably big chunks.  I cut, split and sold 15 cords this year (and have a little left) into pieces about the size of my leg or a bit smaller.  Getting 6-7 cords of "logs" or bigger peices will be a cake walk compared to what I've been doing to sell wood. A whole lot less prep work in the wood area. 

Is there a difference between the gasser and non gasser in the wood it will burn. I hear some say the gassers won't burn green or wet wood.  What about the size of the wood?  Will either burn whole logs or do they need to be split?  I was thinking I could just throw a couple whole logs in without splitting...?  If I had to, I could just quarter them.  Just wondering. Thanks for all your help.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4