Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not selling any wood  (Read 7633 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Re: Not selling any wood
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »

I'm impressed. I teach high school too and work on wood on similar schedule to you.  I carry a summer job or two also along with my firewood.  All I can say is your gettin after it preparing that much wood.  Congrats.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »

here in missouri selling is slow to i think it might be from mild winter last year or alot more guys are selling truck loads father in law sells his by the cord . i know one guy that has been under cutting ever body he lives in town but has been cutting on an old guy that dint know  he thought the man was cutting for himself .  the people you meet if you stop and help with a flat tire
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

I run a greenhouse business.  It's not until the end of June or so when i can start cutting my wood.  That is when my wife (teacher) is done for the summer and can sort of take over some of the greenhouse duties to free up some of my time.  I do not get to work as steadily on the wood as I would like to but as frequently as I can and I try to put in long days and set daily goals for myself to keep it interesting.  I burn approx 35 to 40 corda year, that's 5 standard pulp truck loads of around 7 to 8 cord each.   I'm all I can do to get this processed before the snow flies.  Usually it's sometime in January before I finish the last load.  I'm about 8 cord ahead for next year at this point so the last load is not to be burned until next year.  I'm hoping to finish cutting the last of it tomorrow and have it split and stacked under cover by next week.  It's actually being put under cover as I cut it so then I can just split and stack in close proximity.  I work it all primarily  by myself.  I know the work involved and I applaud any of you who process these higher amounts of wood.  I applaud us all really.  Anyway, I could not imagine doing more myself.  I have no time for other projects as it is.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Hammersquash

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »

the simple answer to your question is we don't make any money.  We just enjoy doing it.  At least I do.  Its more of a hobby.  I lost 50 lbs when I started my firewood business.  I feel healthier and have more energy.  Something about the process of working a standing tree into a pile of wood gives me a real sense of accomplishment.  Its not for everyone but I LOVE it.  When I'm not cutting my firewood on the side, I work for a tree service cutting. When I'm not doing that, I clear brush (sapplings, briars, bushes etc.) on my property running a saw.  I bet I run a saw 250 days a year or better some years.   

I endorse this post.  Why get a gym membership when you can get ripped heating your house for free?
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »

I realize this is an old thread, things have changed as they always do. The propane prices are up around here and very little firewood available. I called about getting grapple loads of 8' logs delivered and no one around here has any right now, it's been a long cold winter and most supplies are used up pretty good. Too early to get in the woods +/-3' of snow and also road limits go on tomorrow, won't be getting any delivery around here until late June at earliest.

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »

I tried my hand at selling some this winter as I have a surplus of dry oak split.  I didn't get any calls for 3 weeks until we had a 12" snow with 4 ft snowdrifts and a cold front predicted.   The calls I got wanted me to come down on price.  I was asking $180 for a 6.5 ft pickup load (advertised as just over 1/3 cord).  I didn't budge since it has too much value to me and my time.  Not to mention plowing a path to get it.  I will stick to selling a load here and there to friends or neighbors.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader
Pages: 1 [2]