Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Question on the G400  (Read 10448 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Question on the G400
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:27:46 PM »

So you G400 owners or Heatmaster dealers, just a question. My G400 was manufactured this last August so it is supposed to have the latest updates. The back has the door now (changed out the non-locking latch with a lockable one which they should come with) which is insulated but the back of the stove inside the door is not. Is this to help preheat the combustion air which is drawn through the opening in the back bottom then routed to the front? I also took a piece of 1/4" galvanized mesh screening, folded it over a couple of times and placed it over the fresh air opening between the insulation and opening to prevent our hoards of Chinese beetles from getting into the back through the air opening. I will have to check it to be sure it doesn't clog with anything. I insulated the back of P&M with additional insulation but I am guessing I shouldn't on the G400? The water lines are probably the only areas that should be insulated in the back? Just wondering?   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Question on the G400
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:08 AM »

Good question schoppy, yes I am thinking that the pre heated air may help combustion, I would also like to see a lockable rear door for the customers sake all though I know I would never use it, heck I leave the keys in my truck everywhere I go so I don't lose them! Good idea on the bug filter, be sure it stays clean.
Please keep the ideas coming, the folks at the factory do watch the forum and will consider upgrades as ideas come in.
How are you liking the G-400 so far?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »

Mine was manufactured June of 2015 and it does have insulation in the access door like yours.

I don’t like to insulate water lines unless absolutely necessary, if you ever get a seep in a fitting a lot of corrosion can occur before you notice it if they are insulated. If your using a Delta T pump then you’ll need to insulate the sensor so the ambient temp in the back of the stove doesn’t cause erroneous readings for the pump.

I have some 3/16 and 1/8” hardware cloth I was gonna place over the vent hole mainly to keep mice out, would be nice to keep those lady beetles out as well. Gonna try the larger first which will definitely keep mice out, not sure about the beetles.

I also have some 16 gauge stainless left i was gonna plasma cut a hole in to fit over the Logstor then pop river that in place to blank off the open space around the Logstor to keep mice out. When done with harvest we’ll have over hundred thousand bushels of corn stored on the farm, mice are abundant no matter how well you keep things cleaned up.

The G400 is awesome so far, had a bit of a learning curve compared to ole smokey, but from what I’ve seen as long as you have quality underground line it holds heat amazingly well when idling. But I have just had it up and running a few days now, as much as I hate to say it would like to see some nice frigid weather set in so I can really load it down and see what happens. From what I’ve seen in just a few days I expect to use half as much wood as ole smoky did.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:34:33 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »

One last thing for new users, when filling if you stop when the indicator is half way up the gauge, when it hits 180 it will be near full without puking water out the top when it expands.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:33:25 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »

If you want to look at another one, I have one sitting in Arlington. I am guessing it was just made but didn't look at the MFG date yet.
I also have a G100 and G200 if you want to compare anything.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »

I had the same thing happen when I filled my g200. I also think I am going to have a 50 percent reduction in wood consumption from the old hardy.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »

I agree with you mlappin on covering up the fittings in lines, especially after some wanna-be sharkbite clones leaked on me last year, typically I only insulate the lines themselves. The O.E.M. Sharkbite push fittings I used never did leak. 

I was worried about mice getting in the back around my lines also. To seal up the gaps around my two runs going out the back of my boiler I took some material like they use to cover insulation on the side of a house. It is about 1/16" thick and flexible and I made a sleeve about 8 to 10 inches in diameter around my corrugated pipe tight to the bottom of the boiler and about 3"below what will be the final yard grade. Then I filled the sleeve with minimal expanding great stuff foam. It took about 2 days for the foam to stop oozing out any little cracks. Trimmed away the set-up oozed foam and now no more mice worries and even better insulation around the pies above ground below the boiler.

Hi slim, I haven't fired the unit yet but am hoping to in the next few days. Things have gone a little slower than normal with my shoulder surgery. Did my last pressure test on the new house piping and found some leaking solder joints on my mono-flow tees. What a pain to take the loop back apart to re-solder them. I am going to do some tests on the flow rates before final assembly so I have an idea of what I need for GPM's from my bypass pump. I'm moving all my pumps to the back of the unit and wanted to be able to lock it when we are gone. One flip of a switch and everything goes off. When I get it up and running I hope to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks mlappin for the water level info. I know my P&M puked water all over when I heated it up the first time. Did you experience any sweating in the firebox when you first fired it up? I plan on tracking my wood usage closely to see how it compares to previous years, assuming we have an average winter.

Next time through Arlington I'll have to take a look RSI. Good to have a dealer in the area, congratulations.           
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »

Thanks mlappin for the water level info. I know my P&M puked water all over when I heated it up the first time. Did you experience any sweating in the firebox when you first fired it up? I plan on tracking my wood usage closely to see how it compares to previous years, assuming we have an average winter.

I think any stove will sweat regardless of make or material used. Mine did quite a bit, rained the night before and that morning so lots of moisture in the air, don’t really know how much as it was coming sideways.

Cold enough this morning when we woke up the wife asked why it was smoking, told her it’s steam, not smoke when it starts a foot or 18 inches above the stack and dissipates in 20-30 feet.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »

I have had steam a few times. Usually when it is below 30 degrees and I have just loaded some less dry stuff. As soon as the stove goes through 1 or 2 cycles the steam goes away. The stove seems to operate fine even with wood as high as 30 percent as long as you have a decent coal bed.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »

Fire in the hole! Fired off my G400 for the first time today. What ever you do, don't use Permatex pipe dope with Teflon in it. I have done gas, water and steam piping for over 35 years and this is the worst dope I have ever used. Did pressure tests on everything before firing and all checked out ok after re-soldering some mono flow tee fittings. Filled, purged then did some flow tests before firing. Then fired it up and had 4 leaks in my shed on threaded fittings. The pipe dope drips off the joints like snot and that is after I wiped all excess dope off. It acts like this crap dissolves in water. Relocating the red L.E.D. control panel light outside worked great. It was dark out by the time I fired it off so I couldn't tell how much smoke there was but I am starting with dried slab wood and it got a little rain on some of it last night. I know if you have the loading door and the bypass open too long it goes into a fault.

Hey slim, do you know the factory settings on the G400 for operating temps? I know there is a 190 degree high limit but the manual just says it is preprogrammed and requires no user programming. Wondering if the operating temp is 180 and what the differential is? The weather isn't real cold yet but so far the mono flow tees with a primary/secondary loop setup for the house has increased my gpm flow by almost 40% over last year (6.7 gpm to 9.25gpm). I decided to use two mono fllows for each load for maximum flow and because all my loads are below the supply loop. Thanks for the help with the recommendations of changes to my system. With both feeds and the bypass pump I have a little over 25 gpm flow that the factory says it should have.

Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 05:36:41 AM »

The factory settings are 160 on and 180 off, the differential I believe can be reset by the user but bumping the high set point requires the dealer to put in a reprogramming chip temporarily to set it higher, Glad you are up and running, I think you will find this unit much more user friendly.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »

The factory settings are 160 on and 180 off, the differential I believe can be reset by the user but bumping the high set point requires the dealer to put in a reprogramming chip temporarily to set it higher, Glad you are up and running, I think you will find this unit much more user friendly.

I wondered about that wide differential, I was running old smoky at 175 on and 185 off, tried 180 and 190 but then it seemed like I just ate the wood keeping it 5 degrees hotter. Running the waste oil boiler at 195 off. O might have to install a high limit aqua stat in the incoming line from the G400 so the waste oil boiler down’t overheat it and trip the high temp cutout on the Heatmaster.

Maybe the wide differential so it doesn’t short cycle on days with lower heat demand?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 01:13:54 AM »

The learning process continues. First load of slab wood ran through just fine and lasted longer than expected. On the second load made a mistake of trying to fit a piece too long in and it bridged the rest of the wood and the fire went out. Restarted quickly but I will have to be careful to keep all wood parallel to each other especially with slab wood that doesn't roll.

Has anyone had any issues with the secondary heat exchanger refractory cracking? Checked the lower area this morning and found the front refractory block cracked in two right down the middle. When I picked up the stove the baffle piece which sits on the front edge of this refractory block (the width of the refractory about an inch thick and 2.5 inches high) was laying in the bottom and the dealer told me it just had to be set back in place. I had to do some slight filing to get it to fit, there was what appeared to be silicone holding it in place originally. Tonight I took a look and the baffle piece is now broken and falling down like a V on the front edge of the front refractory block. I did talk to Wally about the cracked refractory block and he said that it does happen and as long as it is not breaking apart it shouldn't be a problem. At the time I talked to him I didn't know the front baffle piece had broken also. I plan on taking a picture and sending it to him, for sure I will need the new baffle piece.

Does anyone think there would be a problem running the boiler until a new baffle piece is in place?       
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 03:18:44 AM »

No it's not a problem at all, it's only there to slow the velocity a bit and add turbulence in the reaction chamber, your dealer should have a couple of them in stock if he doesn't, ask him to get one for you, it might need to be trimmed to fit but it can be cut with a serrated knife easily, in the interim, run it !

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 05:51:34 AM »

The learning process continues. First load of slab wood ran through just fine and lasted longer than expected. On the second load made a mistake of trying to fit a piece too long in and it bridged the rest of the wood and the fire went out. Restarted quickly but I will have to be careful to keep all wood parallel to each other especially with slab wood that doesn’t roll.

I cut all my tops at 30-36” and just place those on the very top, haven’t had a problem yet. The rest of my wood is ran thru a fire wood processor and is 17” long, all that goes on bottom.

anyone had any issues with the secondary heat exchanger refractory cracking? Checked the lower area this morning and found the front refractory block cracked in two right down the middle. When I picked up the stove the baffle piece which sits on the front edge of this refractory block (the width of the refractory about an inch thick and 2.5 inches high) was laying in the bottom and the dealer told me it just had to be set back in place.     

Mine was in place but loose, wonder if trying some furnace cement instead to hold it in place instead of the silicone.

I’d think eventually the crack would fill with fine ash anyways.

Fire in the hole! Fired off my G400 for the first time today. What ever you do, don't use Permatex pipe dope with Teflon in it. I have done gas, water and steam piping for over 35 years and this is the worst dope I have ever used. Did pressure tests on everything before firing and all checked out ok after re-soldering some mono flow tee fittings. Filled, purged then did some flow tests before firing. Then fired it up and had 4 leaks in my shed on threaded fittings. The pipe dope drips off the joints like snot and that is after I wiped all excess dope off. It acts like this crap dissolves in water. Relocating the red L.E.D. control panel light outside worked great. It was dark out by the time I fired it off so I couldn't tell how much smoke there was but I am starting with dried slab wood and it got a little rain on some of it last night. I know if you have the loading door and the bypass open too long it goes into a fault.

Yep, been there, but we always considered the Permatex to be good stuff, least compared to the stuff that literally has grit in it. Of course we usually only use it on the nylon fittings that are used on all our field sprayers. Whats the point of the grit anyways? It all gets wiped off when you thread the pipes together.

I had maybe three fittings that were seeping just enough to leave a tiny trail once it got hot and ran a few days, my experience is paste literally glues the joints together once good and hot. Got tired of the paste once the dew set and my pipes got wet from the dew and the paste wouldn’t stick anymore, used heavy duty teflon tape after that and none of those leak or seep.

It does just barely sip the wood, I’m still over filling a little, 15 years of running old smokey makes for some ingrained habits that are hard to break. I almost think somebody that’s never run a OWB would have a little easier time of it as no old habits to break.

I took some 100% spray silicone and sprayed the damper cover with it, makes any mess wipe right off then.

It’s not really a fault mode if the damper is left open too long but a warning that the damper is still open in case you have it open, shut the door and walk away. If the draft motor shuts off because you have it open for 5 minutes but your not done yet, just move the handle a few inches like your going to close it, then open it back up and that will reset the timer so you have another five minutes of the draft inducer running and the pleasure of no smoke in your face while finishing up. That in itself is a strong selling point, I’ve lost track of how many times I was loading my old one and the wind would shift and end up with burning eyes and gagging on smoke.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:02:29 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: [1] 2 3