Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 8593 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Need some help
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »

Came home tonight snow is blowing high winds, boiler temp is low 138.  Add some wood, snow blowed the driveway come back 45 minutes later aquastat is dark.  The pump is still running I can hear it.  They installed a light switch that controls the aquastat, try flipping the switch on and off nothing.  At this point the switch failed or the aquastat failed.  How do I trouble shoot this?  Going to be a long night ..

intensedrive

• View Profile
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »

Went back outside the damper door is open, but the aquastat is dark.

Just wanted to note originally the damper was closed and aquastat was dark.  This time aquastat is dark but the damper was open.  Right now I turned off the heat to the house and I have a good judgment were the water level should be when it reaches 180. Going to see if the damper closes around 180 by water level.  Hopefully I can limp through the night.  Anyone know the model number of the aquastat used?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:32:25 PM by intensedrive »

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »

Damper was still open near boil.  Kicked on the heat.  Seems no communication between aquastat and the damper.  I had to replace this last year, seems premature, I caulked around every point since I lost it during the same storm last year.  Moisture is making its way in some where.  I suspect when the wind swirls enought under the siding moisture enters game over..

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 02:39:23 AM »

I'm probably a bit late but do you have a voltage tester? If so start checking the terminals as the power comes on to the stove, it should all be wired in series starting with the high limit aqua stat or snap disc.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

njohnson

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:59:23 AM »

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »

Not sure how to trouble shoot your problem but check your conduit lines. On my stove they were rated for indoor use. I'm sure the same was used for most of their stoves.

Man I'm glad I got rid of that thing! 
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Chicken farmer

• OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »

My Ridgewood does not have overtemp protection on it. I assume they are all wired alike. That will eliminate some components to check. I had trouble with my controller last year. I called Ridgewood and got the part number, but they sent one also. It's a Love controller which is part of the Dwyer conglomerate. I'm at work now, but I can check part numbers when I get home. What I ended up finding was loose wires going to the back of the controller. If you decide to pull the controller, be careful, there's not much slack in the lines. If the controller display is dark and the damper door is pulled open, chances are the controller is toast. Something on the board inside the controller has shorted out allowing voltage to hold the output relay in the "energized" state. Or the relay contacts have welded. You might also want to check the wires where they enter the actual terminal on the back of the controller. If somebody carelessly jammed the stripped wires in the terminal, it's possible that a stray strand got pushed back and is making contact with the adjacent terminal. Hopefully this gives you something check..........
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for all the good information and support.  Staying up late I noticed if I cut power on and off to the aquastat via the switch on the back of the stove sometimes the aquastat would display something like a I OR L, obviously the stat is bad.  My big concern is why am I loosing a stat back to back seasons, these things should last years.  Like suggested I will check all connections, I replaced it myself last year looked pretty good.  With 50MPH Winds and all the snow blowing I think moisture is making its way up into the stat somewhere, I will investigate further when I get my new Love Control.  Called Ridgewood someone did answer and his name was Jeff, gave credit card shipping out tomorrow morning.  The new stove is on its second season, little upset about loosing a controller back to back.  I thought the moisture was coming up and around the stat, so I put a heavy bead all around that area,  gonna be a pain to get the cover off.  I hoped I fixed the the problem for years to come looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

For now I have a small board inserted to create some air to the firebox so I can get heat to my home and hope it doesn't boil over.  As the outside temp rises I will jump increase the load demand by increasing the indoor temperature.  What I figure for the next few days just a balancing act, watching the water levels and increasing load when needed to keep the water temp down.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:13:51 PM by intensedrive »

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:29:28 AM »

We had a lot of trouble with the love controls, it seems whenever a large amp draw like a solenoid sticking happened the love control would fry. Check the wiring to see if there is a short that happens when the wind blows or snow gets inside!

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:42 PM »

I believe those Love controllers are available through Grainger also. 
Midwestern Ohio

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »

Not familiar with a Love control, could it be swapped over to a Ranco?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 03:39:39 AM »

Yes Chicken farmer, they are available from Grainger but they are programmed for cooling, it will need to be reprogrammed, if anybody needs the step by step on that, PM me and I'll talk you through it.
Yes Marty, it can be changed to a different style, it won't be pretty but it can be done!

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »

So, I was just checking out that Ranco controller. It looks pretty nice and has the Nema 4X enclosure available. Maybe that is the way to go instead of building a control. Are the Ranco controllers pretty reliable?? Should be a pretty simple install.
Midwestern Ohio

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

Was hoping for the part today, looks like monday.  I turned the power back on to the controller it actually turned on and was in alarm, silenced the alarm and checked my r0 and r2 and looked right.  Got the fire back to 180 damper didn't shut.  Crap thought I was going to get lucky

U.P. Doug

• OWF Model: 7500
  • Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »

I checked out the Ranco controller as well, and it does look nice. I really should have a spare controller here just in case, and thinking about swapping out to the Ranco if they are reliable. With the problems you have had, Chicken farmer and intensedrive, and Slim saying that they have had a lot of problems with Love controls, I would be interested in swapping mine out. Anyone using a Ranco, or used one in the past??
Pages: [1] 2