Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Usage  (Read 2964 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Usage
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:19:43 AM »

Overnight temps have been in the 30s, daytime low 40s.  I have been loading about half a box, with boiler temps down in the 140 area in the morning. Does that seem about right?
1200 soft well insulated shop, 3600 soft well insulated house.
Western Maine

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Usage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »

You are almost at the 5000 foot mark so yes I would say you are pretty close to where you should be on usage. Is the wood gone at about the 12 hour mark?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 05:34:37 AM »

Yes just a few coals left, I filled it the other night, didn't have to put wood in until 4pm the next afternoon.
Western Maine

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:56:44 AM »

Wood usage is hard to compare. I started heating October 22. Just about to clear one cord now heating 2800 sqft 220 year old home which has been decently insulated and airsealed. 70 during the day and 65 overnight for indoor temps. Outdoors has ranges from 20 degree lows to as high as 60s during the day at times during the last month.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:02 PM »

Temps around here (south central Wisconsin) have been about the same, maybe 20's at night and 40's day. My G200 has gone out several times and had to relight the coals but comes back quickly. Only putting about 1/4 to 1/3 of a load but good dry red oak. Heating about 7000 sq. ft. equivalent all well insulated (shed kept at 55 degrees) and 100% of my DHW and goes 12 hours easy for now. May increase the run time from 3 min. to 5 min. per 30 min off cycles to see if that helps to keep it going.   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »

Only time mine went out was when I put in some wood that was a little too long and it hung up.
I have quite a bit of uninsulated pipe in the house so there is a small constant load on it. The most I have seen between cycles is about 6 hours but usually closer to 3-4 in warmer weather. I was loading around 1/3 to 2/3 full. In the warmer weather I did get 36 hour burn time.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »

I changed the run time from 3 minutes to 5 minutes and shortened the initial time delay from 1 hour 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I will monitor the water temps closely but never have had issues with it going over temp. My wood is hanging up at times also and am not sure why. I am using  some bigger pieces mixed in and this may be part of the problem with lighter loads at present.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:50:22 AM »

Coolidge,sounds pretty good to me. At 4800 sq.ft. your bumping rated capacity, and we figure adding 25% when heating two buildings,as there are four exposed walls on each.This would put equivalent sq.ft. at 6000. But those G's are strong and you shouldn't have a problem. Know of a G100 pulling 3600 in two buildings and a third 900 sq.ft. shop part time but burn times get to 8hrs in bitter cold. Love my C375 but my two sons and son in law put me to shame in wood consumption burning G series.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »

I changed the run time from 3 minutes to 5 minutes and shortened the initial time delay from 1 hour 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I will monitor the water temps closely but never have had issues with it going over temp. My wood is hanging up at times also and am not sure why. I am using  some bigger pieces mixed in and this may be part of the problem with lighter loads at present.
If I put bigger pieces in, I put them on top of the pile. It seems to work a lot better. When I had the wood hang up it was floating with the ends touching front and back. It was short enough when straight but got at an angle somehow.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »

Schoppy I have my run times set the same as yours and since the temps went down no issues with going out. Before that with some damp wood and long times between burns it was going out. But the positive thing is the boiler works like a kiln and it takes no time to relight with the torch.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »

Your right BIG AL, the coals take off great and I use a propane torch on a shaft to make it easier. Since I have changed my settings, only been 2 days, it has not gone out and no drippings from the front door either. The door gasket may be finally getting cleaned out like SlimJim said but it was nice after today (almost 50 again) to come home and have good coals still.

Highest I have seen my temp get is 181. The settings change will probably be a mute point if the temps ever do get cold again.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter