Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is your woodshed filled??  (Read 7846 times)

Jason

• View Profile
Re: Is your woodshed filled??
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »

We cut wood all winter every year.  Too much going on with crops, critters, and my family and work, to worry about it during the Summer.  Plus, it's so hot and buggy in the summer with ants all through the wood and everything else I'd honestly rather cut in the winter.  Gets me outside and exercising, too.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

Shed is near empty, but I have about 20 full cords close by bucked & dry.  I cut a lot of dead elms last winter and got lucky and found 3 dump truck loads from work.  It is so easy to take a tree down with an excavator, haul & buck it with loader forks, use the bucket to load the truck & dump in a pile.  I got a lot of the larger pieces split already and dried.  I don't need the rest of the pile for a year so I will split it over the winter so it can dry.

I figure one weekend of moving and an afternoon of splitting & I will be set with 11 cords stacked in and next to the shed.  I am trying to stay ahead so I can have dry wood rather than waste on burning more wet wood.  I take advantage of any wood I can get from clearing job sites.  The only problem is the heat.  I hate cutting in summer because of it and I am much more busy with work.  I cut a lot on our property in the winter.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 07:20:11 AM »

Had 10 cords of logs dropped off in January, had it all cut and split by Febuary. I 've always stayed ahead. Why do it when its' 90 out. My neighbor who has a Wood boiler too, starts tying to get his 12 cords starting now. Could never figure that out. Here in upstate, NY it's about time to burn. Plus he'll be burning green wood. Guess some people never see the light. Now with my new gasification boiler and 1620 gallons of thermal storage, I'm hoping for only 5 cords of wood consumption.Time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:46:49 AM by charlie »
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »

new to the board, enjoy reading and learning , i do have a question for you all ,  was up at a treating plant with a salesman looking to buy some product and saw a pile of oak in a dump dumpster . asked him what it was for, the long and short, cant sell it, cant give it away for fear of liability, people on property, asked him if i could bring my dump trailer up and he could fill it instead of his . he said ok,  get a load every 2 weeks, its kilm dried oak, 5/4 x 8"-10" & 12" anywhere from 1' to 4' long.  if i stack it in my burner will it work or will it burn up to quick?  just hated to see it all being thrown away.  any help?
Newrichmond, Ohio

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:02:05 AM »

If it's free and easy to get I'd burn it.  Dried oak should give you a hot, efficient burn.  The only issue you'd have is that it may burn a little faster since they pieces are small, but it will burn better than one large piece the same weight. 
Pomeroy, Ohio

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

I get a bunch of smaller stuff for free also.  The stuff I get averages something like 1" by 3/4" by 10' or longer.  a huge pile of strips thats banded together and they load it with a forklift on my trailer.  It burns fast... really fast obviously... but It's free and close and works good for getting things up to heat fast.
I sometimes throw in an armfull of that first then big logs on top and it goes good.

I'd much rather burn the stuff you're getting though.
Hudson, WI

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »

Free wood is good wood.  Period.

:thumbup:
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA
Pages: 1 [2]