Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: slabs  (Read 3124 times)

piper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
slabs
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »

has any one used slabs from a saw mill in there stoves how did it work ,  supose you would go through a lot. my brother uses them in his tobacco barn talk about smoke but that is what he wants. he also covers them with saw dust.
piper   kevil ky.  the western part of the state

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: slabs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

my father has an ncb175. a friend of his has a saw mill and was giving these away. we took about 5 truckload of them off of him to see how they burn.  they burn nice, but quickly.  their large surface area allows them to burn very quickly and there is a kindling effect that produces alot of quick heat.... in order to burn them exclusively... you would be loading often...plus when the line up wrong or flat they can snuff out a bottom forced draft.   we use them now as some extra to toss in to fill some gaps when we want to really stuff the firebox.

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »

My brother burned them last year and said he wouldn't do it again unless they were free.  He paid 50.00 for a whole bunch but they burned so quickly he didn't like them.
Hudson, WI

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:32:50 AM »

I have found that they are easy to load and handle, but they burn fairly fast.  They also make a ton of smoke at first.  Being what they are, they have  a lot of bark on them and the bark causes the smoke.  They are nice for early and late in the season though. 

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »

one of the main reasons i built my furnace was to burn up all my slab waste from my sawmill . i generate 2-3 cords of slab . per year. i  generally burn slabs on weekends when im around the yard. if you can get it for free , OK  but i would'nt buy it. burns like everyone said