Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Chemistry Coffee Table: Lead Free Plumbing Components  (Read 1442 times)

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
The Chemistry Coffee Table: Lead Free Plumbing Components
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »

While plumbing my copper manifold today, I ran across another Certified Lead Free tag proudly affixed to a major brand of 1 1/4-inch ball valve.  The tag says my lead free ball valve is NSF/ANSI 61-G compliant.  Before I began to get too excited about this product label, I went ahead and looked up the NSF/ANSI 61-G Standard for drinking water on the NSF's website only to read and conclude that we (the general public) are being duped yet again.

Bottom LineThe NSF/ANSI 61-G standard for drinking water contact plumbing components still allows for a brass or bronze plumbing component to contain up to .25% lead in the metal.. (Effective January 4, 2014).

LINK:  http://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/nsf61-372_lead_insert_LWD-1350-0513.pdf

So when you are out and about shopping plumbing parts, mentally acknowledge that:

1.  "Lead Free" isn't lead free at all

2.  Your lead free plumbing parts are more expensive than their lead-containing companions simply due to the fact that a higher percentage of copper and tin than they are in the "lead free" plumbing products.  This is the primary reason "lead free" costs so much more.

Now go hoard all of your lead fishing tackle sinkers before you cannot purchase those anymore.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:26:30 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD