Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bought a Hardy that got a little hot...  (Read 15485 times)

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Bought a Hardy that got a little hot...
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »

If you use good insulated pipe you will be fine.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

BIGDIESEL20S

• OWF Model: H-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »

Ya I agree with Bull insulate it as good as possable and dont let the fire go out and dont see why it wouldnt work on top of the ground untill you can get it in the ground. I just seen on here a few days ago that sombody had theres hook up like that for a quik fix, but I looked for it again and I cant find it.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
HOME MADE PICKUP BED TRAILER
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

jnicol6600

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 6000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »

I Kind of did the same thing as you. I bought a cracked H2 and welded it up. Had to make an outside cover and insulate it. I ended up replacing everything on the back with parts not from hardy. Got by a little cheaper that way. I put a PID temperature controller on it and a float and taco valve for auto fill. I run my circulator pump all the time to simplify wiring and cut down on plumbing running to the boiler.
Mine performes fairly well for its size. I heat 1680 sq ft at 75 degrees. 900 sq feet garage at 70 degrees, and 1680 sq ft basement at 72 degrees, and my hot water with a side arm heat exchanger. The basement and garage are radiant in slab heat. the upstairs is heated with a coil in the furnace. On nights that it gets in single digits I get around an eight hour or less burn time but I am putting a pretty big load on it.
Yours ought to work for you. Certainly better than filling that propane tank.

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »

Welcome to the site jnicol6600, sounds like you overwork your H2 like I do mine LOL
Southern Indiana

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

Thanks guys! I put all of the new parts on now I'm working on making a new wiring harness.  Every single wire that was on that thing is fried! I'm moving a long pretty good though so far.  The stove should be 100% complete by tomorrow and I hope to have the whole system hooked up next weekend.  The only thing that will hold me up is if my heat exchanger doesn't show up in the mail on time.  I'll post some more pics as soon as I get a chance.  Thanks for all of the help so far guys, it has been a huge help!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »

One of the reasons I bought my H2 is because how simple it is.  Everything is on the back and seems like a more simple system than other units I had seen.  Once you get it going you should be fine.  Good luck and enjoy the unit!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

One of the reasons I bought my H2 is because how simple it is.  Everything is on the back and seems like a more simple system than other units I had seen.  Once you get it going you should be fine.  Good luck and enjoy the unit!

What units have you looked at where everything wasn't on the back minus a switch or aquastat? 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

Obviously a CB classic wasn't looked at since the access for everything is on the side behind a swing out door.

d conover

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »

It was me that did the temporary on top of the ground hookup.  It is doing well.  I wrapped each pipe with foam insulation and wrapped it all in reflectix (bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil)  I could see the lp gas gauge moving down before I hooked the Hardy back up.

I am using less wood now, than when it was just buried in 4" pvc 3 or 4 feet deep.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »

It was me that did the temporary on top of the ground hookup.  It is doing well.  I wrapped each pipe with foam insulation and wrapped it all in reflectix (bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil)  I could see the lp gas gauge moving down before I hooked the Hardy back up.

I am using less wood now, than when it was just buried in 4" pvc 3 or 4 feet deep.
I made my owns lines about 8 years ago and did it similar. I used foam pipe insulation around Kitek then wrapped a layer of reflexit arount is and taped it. I used two 3" drain tiles. (one for each pipe)  I came up out of the ground at the edge of the deck and run out of the ground about 10' and go up over the concrete wall through the sill plate.

If I was doing it again I wouldn't do it the same way but it seems to be working fine and not worth redoing.

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

I believe that there are units that have the blower in the loading door or some type of damper system in the door for combustion air.  Can't remember which ones right this second.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »

OK well I got it hooked up this weekend and it is working great! Lowes didnt have any 1" PEX when I went there but they had a 300' roll of 3/4.  I was determined to get it hooked up this weekend so I decided to just use the 3/4 for now.  I will add 1" in the spring and use the 3/4 for my DHW (it's not currently hooked up).  I am having some troubles with the thermostat. I added a thermostat for the wood burner and I also have a heat pump.  I followed the instructions in the manual but the new thermostat doesn't seem to be controling anything.  When I turned the old tsat on it just turns on the blower, so that's what I'm using for now until I can figure out what I did wrong.  When I started the fire I was surprised at how quick it warmed.  It was up to 175° in about an hour.  I didn't wire the pump into the thermostat I just have it running continuously for now which made it a lot easier.  My firewood is pretty old and dry so it's burning it up pretty quick but I am getting 12 hr burn times on about 8 medium sized split oak that is about 4 years old.  I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out!  Here are some pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »

New fire rope.

Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

Heat exchanger installed.  And also the outside set up.

Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »

Looks great AirForcePOL, you will love the lower electric bill or no gas usage.
Southern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2] 3