Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can I burn coal with OWB?  (Read 5986 times)

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Can I burn coal with OWB?
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »

Hey all, new here.
 I just recently bought my grandparents home and they have a Hardy outside wood burner to heat the water and house. Now they said it can burn coal, but on the stove itself I see nothing where it says it can burn coal? I seen some other forums where they won't put that on the stove if it is multipurpose fuel due to EPA regs. I really would like to burn coal just because of cost/labor there is between wood and coal. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

walkerdogman85

• OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Re: Can I burn coal with OWB?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »

I know a guy who burnt coal in his hardy until coal prices went up I called a place this last spring and coal was 205 dollars a ton
Michael West
Central Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »

Yes you can, many of the folks here around me do.  It's around 90 bucks a ton here.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »

I have a H2 and I've been wanting to mix some coal in with my wood to try and get a little bit longer burn times on the cold nights.  I have heard of a lot of people burning coal in them, I just can't find anywhere to buy coal where I live.  There is a mine about 7 miles down the road from me but I can't buy it directly from them.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »

I live next to Trevorton PA which is coal area and my buddy just got a ton of rice coal for $150 ton. Now I have heard that I should replace my shaker grate with just a regular grate and just use a poker? Im new to this so I am trying to get advice before next burning season. I have about 23 cords now that will last me all winter and summer and then some so I am trying to weigh out my options here. Trying to find the most afficant cost affect burning for next yr. Thanks guys and I appreciate your help.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »

23 cords?  Seriously?

If your worried about cost savings on fuel you'd been far better off purchasing a quality gasiification furnace

23 cord would last me at least 5 years on 2200 sq ft
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »

LOL yeah its allot. My grand dad liked to keep about 7yrs worth of wood. But when this runs out stacking wood all the time during the summer days I am just tossing around the idea of coal, it will take up less space and burns longer and cleaner. And there is always that what if factor of getting wood. I get wood from a company that makes railroad ties so I get the non treated scrap ends for $60 a full size dumptruck load. still pretty cheap but if you add in my labor it might be better and easier to burn coal. IDK just trying to get some ideas and past experiances from others.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »

I grew up burning coal in a regular forced air furnace. I have never seen or heard of burning coal without having shaker grates. Reason I was told is because of the clinkers that build up on the grates. Also I was told to make sure you NEVER allow your ashes under the grates to build up tight to the grates, reason given, the grates will burn out or warp.  I dont miss burning coal, we didnt have a water softner only a large cistern and collected rain water for soft wash water. By mid winter all of our whites had a dull grey cast to them from all the soot. Even our white cats turned grey. The snow always was dirty with soot.
West Central Ohio