Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any Burnrite Stove owners here?  (Read 7055 times)

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
Any Burnrite Stove owners here?
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »

Just curious what you guys or gals prefer for the sweet spot on aquastat temp settings? Any other owners of a similar round firebox stove can reply also. My dealer had me running mine at 165 high with a 15 degree drop and it just wasn't up to snuff for me.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Any Burnrite Stove owners here?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »

Just curious what you guys or gals prefer for the sweet spot on aquastat temp settings? Any other owners of a similar round firebox stove can reply also. My dealer had me running mine at 165 high with a 15 degree drop and it just wasn't up to snuff for me.

hey victor, i have a  home made round fire box stove, i used to run it 150 to 165, worked fine..i installed a new home made this year and increased to 155 to 170 (why i dont know)

i think the 'sweet spot" you are looking for would have more to do with how many gpm you are delivering as that would have a lot to do with how many btu get delivered (along with water temp)

you could (just saying) be delivering water at 5 gpm at 180 or delivering (again just saying) 8 gpm at 160 and  (againg just saying)  be delivering the same amount of usable btu
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »

Mine has round firebox and is set 155 to 170 and has been working great since the first Sunday in october. I need to figure my head and gpm flow now that willieg has got me curious.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

Johnv656

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

I didn't buy a burnrite due to the sales reps attitude and not wanting to give the time of day.

Went with a Hawken and couldn't be happier.  Temp is good 180, wood useage is a lot less than what I thought it would be also.

victor6deep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:01 AM »

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. I have a 3 speed broeder pump on my stove which natures comfort runs these pumps so I figured they were legit. I had the 150 low and 165 high and it seemed like my furnace would kick on and run for too long than I wanted it to. I had my pump on medium at that time and never tried running it on high while running the 165 high temp. For some reason I was thinking of running the high speed and then change temps to a 170 or 175 high with a 15 degree drop.

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

Timed mine and it runs 30-35 min. To get back to temp. In the low 30s The longer burn helps reduce creosote build up and my wood is 7-9  months seasoned.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. I have a 3 speed broeder pump on my stove which natures comfort runs these pumps so I figured they were legit. I had the 150 low and 165 high and it seemed like my furnace would kick on and run for too long than I wanted it to. I had my pump on medium at that time and never tried running it on high while running the 165 high temp. For some reason I was thinking of running the high speed and then change temps to a 170 or 175 high with a 15 degree drop.

Good luck with that, I don't have any luck out of them, have 5 sitting here now that bit the dust
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

victor6deep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »

1yr warranty on the pump so hopefully it lasts shorter than 1yr. My buddy is a boiler tech and said its a solid pump but what many do wrong is mount them incorrectly and never bleed the air out before running the pump.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

1yr warranty on the pump so hopefully it lasts shorter than 1yr. My buddy is a boiler tech and said its a solid pump but what many do wrong is mount them incorrectly and never bleed the air out before running the pump.

Well, I've installed hundreds and know how, and they quit simply don't last

I sold 20 some of them 4 years ago and of those only about 5 are still in operation
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

victor6deep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »

Were the pumps setup to pull water from the top or bottom of the tank?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

here is a thought for you to consider (maybe)

it is a general group thought that you should not have water less than 150 degrees returning to your OWB

but it is also a know fact that the delta of your room temp and your delivered water has a lot to do with how many btu can can (or will be ) drawn from it.

so as long as you could move enough GPM for your home to be heated at a lower temp of delivery water and not return that water lower than 150 there is nothing wrong (and may be a slight benifit) with lowering your delivery temps. with a lower delivery temp your delta between the earth and your delivery water will be closer together. the closer they are together the less heat would be exchanged between them.
you would however add to the recovery time it takes to get your room up to temp with lower delivery temps as the heat transfer from your rad to your room would also take longer. because of the closer delta the heat transfer here would take longer as well (at least i think this would be true)

perhaps the real h-vac guys can validate, or disprove this thought?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »

My CB2300 came set at 180 on and 185 off.  I've since bumped it to the max at 195 off due to my high demand when my greenhouses are running.  But even when only heating my home I leave it set there.  Makes for nice warm air in my forced-air system.  In either case it makes for plenty of falling room with regard to water temp.  They will all tell you that if your water temp drops to 150 or below condensation will occur in the firebox, and I've seen it happen, literally water running down the walls as if it is leaking.  This will only result in corrosion.  That is why CB started sending out thermostatic valves.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »

Were the pumps setup to pull water from the top or bottom of the tank?

Neither....

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

victor6deep

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

I think the sweet spot for my stove and house situation is 165 low and 180 high seems to be the best for me and life of the stove. As far as the broeder pump goes I was emailed specific directions how to prep this pump before plugging it in. My buddy and I followed this to a T and the pump makes no noises of any that could be a issue. I could see where the average joe could burn pumps up and not just a broeder.