Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wiring on inside furnace  (Read 3141 times)

bruey

• View Profile
wiring on inside furnace
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »

deceided to take out the switch on my furnace and put a female end of an extension cord on the side coming from the electric box and two male plugs, one from the inside furnace and on from the outside furnace( pump and light) figure i can unplug from the panel in a blackout and plug into my generator. here is the crazy thing, when i did this everything works now including my condencing unit outside my house. threw the breaker to turn it off but i cant figure this one out. i did nothing inside the furnace or anything outside on the air unit.  its like what the heck just happened?????????????????. figure i can have the hvac guy fix it in the spring. but i wish i had an idea of what happened.
Newrichmond, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: wiring on inside furnace
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »

you msut have shut the poweroff to do this wiring...is it possable that when you turned power back on the furnace went to auto pilot and with the warm day perhaps your home was hot enough for the air to come on by itself

by the way what you did is likley not legal but who am i to say...ive done a few things too
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bruey

• View Profile
Re: wiring on inside furnace
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »

checked with my hvac guy and he said he will change or bipass a relay switch in the spring , til then just turn off the 220 breaker to the air.  about the plugs , he said as long as you have a disconect to the furnace that is what is code . said grounded plugs would be fine, seems ok answer to me but won't call for an electrical inspection, thats for sure.  enjoy the comments guys, thanks
Newrichmond, Ohio